Is a DJ Mixer a decent substitute for a microphone preamp?

geneticfunk

I have been using a Vestax 07 Pro DJ mixer as a microphone preamp for recording in my studio. I'm using the microphone inputs. I've been using it, just b/c it was lying around here.

Is it going to make my recording sound much better if I get a preamp that is designed specifically for microphones, and use it instead of the Vestax? If it won't make much difference I don't want to drop the money on it, but if it's going to make a significant difference then I can justify getting it.

Whatdya think?

The answer is yes and no. If you buy a cheap ass mic pre, then no. If you drop the right amount of cash, you will notice a difference.

The other thing is, you may not notice the difference right off the go, as in the sound may still be the same to you, but once you start layering the tracks on,m then you will really start to see a decent pre shining through.
It also depends on your ears.... if you think your music sounds good with the vestax, then keep using it until your ears "mature" a bit and you start seeing the flaws of the vestax, and upgrade then.

Simon

geneticfunk said:
Whatdya think?

Get a good mic pre. I've had the good fortune of getting to play with some distinct sounding Pre's recently. They all have their good attributes, and their bad attributes, but I can guarantee you this. The difference between the $2 pre in a DJ mixer and the $20 (in parts) pre in a more expensive pre-amplifier is f'n NIGHT and DAY.

If you don't hear it at first, trust me, you'll hear it later when your ears adjust to what great sound is.

Back