Is a Crown CE1000 ok to power Yamaha NS10m's?

elarcoiris

Hi,

I scored a set of Yamaha NS10m's yesterday (tested and in excellent condition) and now have the opportunity to purchase very cheaply, a Crown CE1000.
Will this be ok to power them or am I risking damage?

Thank you!

So long as Crown and Ns10s are working properly, and you don't go stupid by driving the NS10s beyond their limit, which you should be able to hear, you will be fine.

I would not risk it without fusing the feeds to the speakers.
Note Yam's spec here....
NS10MS - Passive speakers - Speakers - Live Sound - Products - Yamaha United States

They make a point of saying 100 watts MAX! Crown make serious kit and have conservative speccs. If they claim 275WPC you can bet your sweet bippy the amp is capable of nearer 300W into 8 Ohms.

YOU might be very careful with the use but it will only take a momentary lapse, a jack plug touching bare metal, a spook juice thump or software to go ape***t and at least bye-bye tweeters.
If you really want to use the amp fit some inline fuse carriers and fuse it down to 2amps quick blows. 100W into 8R is 3.5A rms but that sort of fuse value will pass ten amps for far to long to protect the drivers. Indeed, 2A might be too high, start at 1A and see how she blows?!!!

Ok, error! 120W max. A trifling difference.
Dave.

Be careful. CE1000s and CE2000s are known to have issues that may send DC or some other bad stuff to the outputs. My theory is that it's the anodized screws used to mount and ground the board. I replaced the anodized screws with standard ones wherever there were ground pads on my CE2000 and haven't had any trouble powering my PA subs.

Be careful. CE1000s and CE2000s are known to have issues that may send DC or some other bad stuff to the outputs. My theory is that it's the anodized screws used to mount and ground the board. I replaced the anodized screws with standard ones wherever there were ground pads on my CE2000 and haven't had any trouble powering my PA subs.

In that case BSG, one of these might be advised?
Loudspeaker DC-Protection Module M4701A

Personally I would just fit two 4,700mfd caps (and fuses!). Another protection regime would be a pre power amp attenuator. With everything flat out, amp pots, AI, set a tone for 60W out (22V>8R) at 0dBFS.

Not perfect but would give the speakers a fighting chance!

Dave.

I'm not sure what the trouble with those amps was as it has been a couple of years since I read about it. It might not have been DC, it might have been some blast of HF noise that burnt tweeters or something. I read it on ProSoundWeb. The problem does not apply to the CE4000, just the CE1000 and CE2000.

See this info from Crown:

How much amplifier power do I need?

Note, in particular, this: "If you can prevent the power amp from clipping (by using a limiter), use a power amp that supplies 2 to 4 times the speakers continuous power rating per channel. This allows 3 to 6 dB of headroom for peaks in the audio signal. Speakers are built to handle those short-term peaks."

I used a 700 watt amp to drive 50 watt wedges for many years.

But...the amp...has...knobs...???
Yes, that's why I said "everything flat out so that the absolute maximum that could come from the AI was at 0dBFS. It would be best to put the attenuators inside the amp so that the external sensitivity is greatly reduced.

However, all this comes to naught if, as has been mentioned, the amplifier can go ape***t all by itself!

Dave.

Back