is a condenser mic the right way to go?

delah

i want to buy a condenser mic but im not quite sure if thats the best thing for me. im recording acoustic guitar and vocals on my computer using an audio buddy pre amp and i need a new mic. im afraid if a buy a condenser mic that i will end up picking up to much backround noise from my computer, which is in the same room as the one i record in. is this going to be a big deal or am i making too much out of it? the reason i want a condenser mic is because i have to go cheap and it seems most agree that cheaper condensers are better than cheaper dynamics. any suggestions out there??

delah said:
and that should be enough to take care of it? i guess im a little paranoid.......

It should, turn your monitors off and record using headphones.

If thats not enough put the mic in another room like a walkin closet close to where you have the computer setup.

You should be more paranoid about capturing a better sound than whether or not your gonna pick up a bunch of background noise which IMO is easy enough to fix.

yeah the louder you play the acoustic, the less background noise you'll hear. unless its just that freakin loud. in which case i would tell you to look into a better case first. i record with my condenser about 3 feet or less from the case. yeah it picks up the case noise but you have to listen hard for it. if you record a good song, people will be more likely focused on the guitar and what you're saying instead of how many rpms your case fan is spinning at

distortedrumble said:
yeah the louder you play the acoustic, the less background noise you'll hear. unless its just that freakin loud. in which case i would tell you to look into a better case first. i record with my condenser about 3 feet or less from the case. yeah it picks up the case noise but you have to listen hard for it. if you record a good song, people will be more likely focused on the guitar and what you're saying instead of how many rpms your case fan is spinning at
And you can always cover the case while you are recording (just remember to remove it frequently or you'll burn your pc up) with a blanket or something to deaden the fan noise.

See all the simple fixes to your problem I'm sure you can come up with even more ideas being paranoid and all :D

If you feel comfortable messing around inside your computer, consider upgrading to quieter case and CPU fans and powersupply. Or get fan speed controllers for the ones you have already. Most stock PC's aren't so concerned with noise as overheating, so they'll over design the cooling systems. Chances are you can get away with a lot less airflow, especially for short periods while you're tracking takes. Good luck!!

Back