Ironing out the final wrinkles of a pre-master?

psongman

H'lo. I have to ask the appointed ones in here for some last minute advice on final mixing then some small mastering before sending out. I still don't understand one end phase of all this preparation. Let's say I have all my tracks in Reaper (uses way less cpu) and mix them down and take the mixdown track into Audition, which I normally use. Now, since I know how to dice and splice using the old Cool Edit, besides the noise reducing and effecting and equalizing...what do I do with the 32 bit final track?

I know following some tried and true method is like searching for the Holy Grail, but here is what I am inquiring about. WHEN, do I convert the final track from 32 bit to 16 bit, at 44.1, so it can be used as a Win PCM file and then burned to a CD? I have read all the posts I could find, but I keep getting conflicting reports. For example, on some of the Maximizing Masterizing software it says it is dithering it down, in the boxes it says 16 bit, Ultra etc, but the file is 32 bit. Do you get what I am aiming at? In Adobe Audition it asks you if you want it dithered when you convert, but from reliable people on this forum, I heard that you shouldn't dither twice, so I don't.

So to sum up, I am getting the EUREKA feeling, that even thought working in 32 bit throughout the recording process, is extolled as the proper procedure...I am finally realizing that perhaps working in 16 bits would surely work fine for my pursuits. In fact, on my a bit slower computer, am sure it would perform better. Will await your Finale, thanks for listening to my long discourse, but I would rather finish these recordings off the proper way than take a misstep near the end, gratefully, DR

I always dither last. I do all effects, EQ, etc. in 24 bit. Once the song is how I want it, and it's ready to burn to CD, I convert down to 16 bit.

I would say record/mix in 24-bit if you can, but if you really want to you can record in 16/44.1. That's what I did for awhile, but Reaper gives you the option of 24 bit, and Audition doesn't.

If you're going to get it mastered professionally, send them the mixdown at the highest resolution possible (for you just send the 32 bit mix). The mastering engineer will dither down to 16 bit for your final master after they have finished.

dpreed1 said:
If you're going to get it mastered professionally, send them the mixdown at the highest resolution possible (for you just send the 32 bit mix). The mastering engineer will dither down to 16 bit for your final master after they have finished.

Absolutely. Then add the files to a data CD.

I think the confusion might be that you are trying to create an audio CD for use by the mastering engineer?

Back