ipad studio???

Captain Ego

I just saw on the news about the new iPad being a multitrack recorder. Cellphones turned everyone into a photographer, Facebook gave them all hundreds of 'friends', youtube made them all celebrities creating movies of their boring everyday mediocrity... now ipad is making every 14 yr old guitarist with yuppie parents a potential recording engineer!?!?! isn't the internet flooded with too much schlock as it is? (Anybody wanna see another video of some kid playing the solo to a metallica song while sitting on his bed?)

Someone once said that if you got a large number of monkeys banging aimlessly on a large number of typewriters for long enough, sooner or later one of them will come up with something genius. The internet shows us that this is not the case.

Has anybody actually used this thing? I wonder if it is any good. Who needs this digitar recording workstation and mixing board anymore, my phone can do it all.

Anybody wanna see another video of some kid playing the solo to a metallica song while sitting on his bed?
I didn't even want to see the first one.
Someone once said that if you got a large number of monkeys banging aimlessly on a large number of typewriters for long enough, sooner or later one of them will come up with something genius.
The works of Shakespeare, no less. Hunter Davies in a 1968 book, describing how rock'n'roll gripped the attention and emotions of teenage boys in Britain in the mid 50s and how almost overnight hundreds of bands formed to play skiffle music said "It was the first time for generations that music wasn't the property of musicians. Anyone could get up and have a go. It was like giving painting sets to monkeys. Some of them were bound to produce something good sometime."

As for the ipad, and in general, you can't stem the flow of invention and the march of technology. But ultimately, the meeting of minds of the general public and the creators of gadgets will decide what lasts. Some things that are good don't last because they get overtaken by something more convenient, cheaper, more disposable and therefore, popular.
"The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out
And I sink to a watery grave......"

Also as a kid would you have WANTED a decent 4-8 track recorder? Or a bunch of different guitar/bass amps with effects and micing options? Vocal effects? Tons of instruments? Drum programming? All in the palm of your hands?

Oh I have a song idea. Record it. Instantly.

I think that is full of win. :)

I'll bet this is what analogue guys said 20 years ago, "now anybody with a computer can be an engineer".

thats technology and evolution to you. Some years ago photography was only for people with those big cameras and the powder etc.
Then cameras got a little more easy to use and when digital photos came up I bet those old photographers felt a bit like you right now.

I'm really looking forward to it, since I'm a bit like the kid playing "another Metalica solo".
...actually no I lie... what I truly dream with is automatic cutting and looping... I like recording a music by parts I just can't stand having to cut, mute and make those perfect loops... and then exporting and getting all that in a nice .mp3 file is another headhacke...
who knows, if an ipad would make recording easier that I gotta get myself one of those. Just imagine, I could be at home and record diferent instrumental parts, then when i was away doing something else like in the line or waiting for the dentist I could just grab my ipad and do those cutting and editing... assuming that a touchscreen would be more handy for that :)

I've got a mulitrack recorder, an MPC, a virtual piano and guitar, and a turntable on my ipod, I might as well record my next album with nothing but it.

I've got a mulitrack recorder, an MPC, a virtual piano and guitar, and a turntable on my ipod, I might as well record my next album with nothing but it.

Exactly! Thats the whole point. Its bringing opportunities to a whole new generation. I think the music we are gonna hear done on iPhones and iPads will definitely surprise us.

Back