IPad midi

Let's see, iPad midi? Quite a broad topic :)

I have an original iPad, and when GarageBand came out last year, I had to have it, especially given the killer Hammond/Leslie emulation that's built-in.

I did some research and found that any class-compliant Midi to USB adapter will work with the iPad and the iPad Camera Connection Kit. I use an M-Audio Uno Midi to USB adapter with my camera connection kit, and my keyboard controls/plays GarageBand perfectly. Any volume control that transmits on Midi Channel 7 (the default for volume control) controls the "Track Volume" of the track you're playing with in GarageBand. This makes for a fantastic live performance instrument.

I'm obsessed with Hammond organs, but have not the space, willpower, budget, staff, or alcohol supply to move one around. I also like to minimize the amount of equipment I have on stage. So, having a midi controller + iPad is perfect. It's all I need. I control the drawbars on the iPad itself, the sustain pedal activates/deactivates the Leslie fast speed, and there's a volume control on the Midi controller to easily increase/decrease the volume (though if I had a compatible volume pedal connected to the keyboard that would work as well...)

FWIW I have used a Yamaha PF-2000, a Yamaha P-155, and a Studio Logic SL-1100 with this setup, with success.

Back