Invisible ghosts

ste20man

Hi :)

This is my first song that I have recorded. It's taken me a lot of time as I've had to learn so much, from FL Studio to EQ, compression(although I haven't used many effects really, as I still need to learn the right situations for each one).

It would be great if you guys could give me your opinions on this. I still don't know what I'm doing 100%(although I've loved every minute), all advice would be appreciated. :)

Cheers, Ste.

Attachments

• INVISIBLE GHOSTS.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
First song recorded? I'm absolutely jealous.

The mix was surprisingly good, I was not expecting to hear anything as well done.

This is not the typical music I would listen to, so my comments are from out of audience.

It was hard to understand the words in places, I think it was a combination of the voice effects and relative volume with the background.

Mix wise, the one suggestion I have is to work on the balance of each piece. Give each sound its own space. Currently you have a lot of stuff going on in center channel and not a whole lot outside of that. As a result, everything is battling for the same turf. Open the balance up, boldly, and see what happens.

Nice tune.

Rick

Sounds a little boxy to me. A lot of people starting out make the classic mistake of overusing compressors and EQ, simply because they can. It's natural, I did it a lot too, probably still do to some extent. I'm not saying that's the problem here, but try to go easy on them. The drums need to be brought up, a lot. Especially the kick and snare. All in all, not bad at all for a first mix.

Cheers.

I'm gonna take that on board. Do you think I should move the guitar out to one side? How far do you typically go with it? Would it sound weird far to the left?

As a more whole question, when the song is played back, should you 'see' the music as a band playing on stage? I.e. drums in the middle bass to one side, guitar the other and singing in the middle, if you know what I mean, or should you have more artistic licence and put the drums and bass down the middle, guitars to one side, keys to the other?

I'm definitely gonna bring the drums up, get a good strong kick and snare, that's a great idea. Should have though of that!

There are no set rules when it comes to panning, but there is a 'general template' you'll be better off following, Kick and Bass in the middle, 2 rhythm guitars panned to each side ( NO don't copy paste, do different takes, and no it won't sound weird panned hard to each side ), and Drum overheads panned to each side. Everything else you can set to taste. I keep solos slightly panned to one side, and keys panned to the other. I try to avoid putting too many things in the middle. Also, I sometimes pan guitars in the verses differently than in the chorus, by keeping the chorus guitars wider you get an impact when the song enters the chorus. There are many different things you can do, the possibilities are endless.

Back