Intrument/Vocal Room Treatment

dremits

Hi,
I'm looking into ways of treating my room on a budget and without angering my significant other by making drastic constructional changes to the room. I'm thinking of using foam tiles around as much of the room but unfortunately for the second reason mentioned above this may not be the best idea! Instead i've cast my eyes over to those SE portable vocal booths. What are your thoughts on these products? Are they worth their price (even if they are cheap in comparison to building a full vocal booth)?

Thanks
Emits

Broadband trapping. All the time, every time, period, end of story.

Foam is nice for banging your head into the wall and little more - Unless you have *high* end issues in the room, don't bother.

As I've never been in a room with a reasonable application of broadband trapping that had issues in the high end, I'd hope the solution is pretty apparent...

Massive Master,
Thanks for the reply. Are the terms 'broadband trapping' and 'bass trapping' generally interchangeable? And, just to confirm, your saying that chances are foam and indeed the prtable vocal booth solution is a waste of money?

To some extent - "Bass" trapping generally speaking indicates tuned absorbers. Broadband covers the spectrum of the "sort of low" end.

And NOT "bass traps" like triangular foam chunks (which have nothing at all to do with actually trapping low end).

PVB's on the other hand... They can be handy. Still not as good as a reasonable space. Combine the two and you're getting somewhere.

PVB's on the other hand... They can be handy.

Yes, and the PVB shown below (or a DIY equivalent) will go a long way toward getting a clean clear sound even in an overly live room.

--Ethan

pvb_katie.jpg

Back