Introductions are in order!

Turtleface

Evening everyone, or whatever salutation is appropriate for your time zone(s). I've been browsing the site a bit, found lots of good info, and decided to sign myself up. So here we are.

I'm currently an aspiring guitarist/songwriter/recording engineer. Quite new to the songwriting/engineering side, but I have had a good amount of guitar practice under my belt. Started when I was thirteen, lasted about three years until a "friend" sold my amp out from under me, and another "friend" hocked my Jackson RR1 for meth. So I dropped out of actively making music, and decided to just be a fan and start my digital music archives. Fast forward about ten years, and I was finally in a place to start buying decent gear. Picked up a few choice pieces of guitar gear, and settled into practicing scales and making goals, practicing vocal exercises and what have you. Now I'm finally at the point where I want to start recording myself, and the other half of my singer/songwriter duo. Eventually, I'd like to build a very powerful, very portable (and probably very pricey) recording rig that I can potentially roll into any venue in the greater Phoenix area, and plug into a FOH board and record gigs.

Here's what I've picked up so far:

Guitars
Martin D-15
Jackson SL1
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy (slightly modified)
Rickenbacker 360

Amps
Crate V50 (50 watts, 2 6L6s, 3 12AX7s, very Fender-y)
Blackheart Little Giant (3/5 watts, 1 EL84, 1 12AX7)

Pedals and Effects
MXR Ten Band EQ
MXR Distortion III
EH Small Clone
MXR Super Comp
Peterson Strobostomp Tuner
Line 6 POD HD500

Recording Gear
Macbook Pro, 15" 2.2 GHZ, Quad Core, 4 gigs of ram (bumping to 8, very soon)
Mackie Blackjack
2 SM57s
1 SM58
Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine
GarageBand

And of course various mic/guitar stands, cables, etc. Pretty basic setup for recording at the moment. I read enough on various message boards to realize that jumping in and buying a crapload of high dollar gear could be counter-productive to the learning process. I do believe I might pick up two or three more microphones in the near future, probably an AT-4033 at the minimum, and a good set of nice, flat, studio monitors to mix with. I'm sure I'll eventually get into room treatment, but it's not terribly high on my list of things to do, mostly because I'm looking to move in ~six months. Once I get new digs, I can start looking at dedicating a room to recording/mixing.

Brave new world for me. I've always been a great fan of music, have a great ear, and love playing my guitars. Figured I might have a go at developing the skills required to bring the sounds in my head to the unwashed masses, and maybe make a buck or two in the process if I'm any good. Rest assured, as the months go by, I will be picking everyone's brain for little nuggets of info. Cheers! :drunk:

Howdy Turtleface
You might want to start off slow and go into the venues to do a stereo microphone set up recording to get your feet wet then move onto multi tracks.

Welcome there Turtleface,
Avoid handling microphones and equipment while your feet are wet. Jeez Moresound, trying to kill the guy?

Oh yeah, indeed. The rolling into a venue and plugging in thing is the end result I'm looking for, rather than the next step. I have no doubt I'm going to spend a lot of time playing around with a small selection of mics and concentrating on placement and technique, potentially years, before I get serious about putting together a rig. Hence the starting out with a pair of SM57s and 58.

Welcome to the forum - Epi LP Prophecy = sweet guitar.

Sounds like you got a lot of gear and will not need too much to start some decent recording. 3 mics is a good start, probably want to get a decent vocal mic (Check the mic forum or ask moresound).

I would say the next thing you need is a multi-track mixer (full duplex with at least 8 distinct channels) and some monitors.

You could get a decent mixer and monitors for under $600 if you went with Krk G2 Rokitt 5's or 6's and something like an Alesis multimix 8 USB 2.0 - these are entry level items but they work great - and there are many many more options in this price range. Many people make great multi-track interfaces.

Anyway welcome to the forum :D

I'd suggest a couple of good direct boxes for guitar, more options for when you go to mix. Otherwise you will find you are limited to whatever the venue has for the house (I don't know, they may all be excellent), so it will be a matter of what you need to interface at the house board. 8, 16, 24, wotever, channels into your computer.

I'd suggest a couple of good direct boxes for guitar, more options for when you go to mix. Otherwise you will find you are limited to whatever the venue has for the house (I don't know, they may all be excellent), so it will be a matter of what you need to interface at the house board. 8, 16, 24, wotever, channels into your computer.

Are you talking about playing out live or recording? Actually either way I would mic those amps not use DI boxes :p

Howdy Turtleface
You might want to start off slow and go into the venues to do a stereo microphone set up recording to get your feet wet then move onto multi tracks.

Welcome there Turtleface,
Avoid handling microphones and equipment while your feet are wet. Jeez Moresound, trying to kill the guy?

:laughings:

Glad I didn't have a mouthful of milk when I read this! :D

Milk shot out of my nose and I wasn't even drinking milk! ☼:laughings:

Back