Introduction

dreamweaver

Hi everyone,

I got a Fostex MR-8 HD for my birthday and have wanted to record music for years.

Haven't tried it out yet. What kind of quality of recording can I expect? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being unlistenable, 5 demo quality, and 10 being professional studio quality, I'm hoping and expecting some where around 3 - 4.

I love just about all kinds of music, except most Country and Rap. Most of my own songs are probalby mid-70's MOR top 40 pop style. I like to write songs, but hate performing. I like recording.

My biggest concern is vocals, as I pretty much suck at singing and haven't written any vocal harmonies yet. I'm hoping to record my wife who has a great voice.

So I have the MR-8 recorder, guitar, cheap mic, casio keyboard, old programmable drum machine, which should be able to get me something to get started.

I'll probably have some questions as I work my way through it.

OMG - those MR-8's are notoriously the biggest pieces of crap made!

jk- its a perfectly fine piece of equipment :)

There are several other factors that will determine the quality of your recording - the least of which is probably the Fostex which should be able to deliver excellent tracks.

I think you will find it's more about mics, preamps, amps and instruments.

The Casio and old drum machine would be my biggest concern! :D

Lay some tracks down and post them in the mixing clinic!

Welcome to The Forum

Learn the process and what you learn and how you apply it all will determine how things will sound. Any recording machine/software is fairly neutral.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I finally got a chance to spend some time playing around with the recorder. I tried putting together a three part vocal pad which ended up sounding surprisingly good. I used my guitar on a dummy track to help my voice stay on the right pitch.

I ended up recording a four track song - rhythm guitar, harmonica, lead vocal, backing vocal. Nothing worth posting. It was a rough take. Not even demo quality. (so zero youtube hits to brag about ;) )

But it was a lot of fun.

Although I read a little in the manual ahead of time, I didn't even have to go to the manual once when recording - everything was pretty intuitive. Although there's some built in effects I need to read up on and play around with.

I'm very pleased with the quality of the recording and I didn't have to spend a ton of money on the gear. Got the recorder used (like new) for $160 and bought a Humbucker pickup for my acoustic guitar and a vocal microphone.

Now I have to get my wife recorded. She actually has a good singing voice.

So anyway, after actually doing a little recording, some of the advice on the forum makes more sense.

Thanks a lot for all the people who take time to give advice. It really helps.

Dreamweaver you should come to know the way of DAVE ..... check out the - let me introduce myself thread

Back