Introduction and seeking some suggestions for improvements.

Shrivel

As you can see, my very first post here... I'm an old dude that decided at 40 that he was going to stop thinking about doing the stuff that he always dreamed and just try it. Got nothing to lose at this point, right? :-)

I am just getting into home recording and having a ball so far. I wanted to share a few samples of what I've done so far and hopefully get some feedback regarding what I need to work on going forward. I have only been playing the guitar for the past 18 months or so, but I am slowly getting better. I have recorded about 4 songs so far and my goal is to mostly do covers/arrangements of songs I like and add my own "twist" to them, although I am working on ideas for some original stuff. I played all the instruments in these recordings.

My Soundcloud profile is here:

soundcloud.com/burton-m (sorry,can't post the link yet)

The songs are in reverse order of how I recorded them, so the Collective Soul cover was the first I recorded. I started out with Audacity but switched to Reaper when I got my keyboard for the Bad Co song. I feel as though the best song and recording is the Seal cover, but it's also just vocals and an acoustic guitar. Although I think I was getting better at time alignment by the last song, I can't stand my vocals in it.

Any advice you'd like to offer, I'd be grateful for.

Thanks in advance.

As you can see, my very first post here... I'm an old dude that decided at 40 that he was going to stop thinking about doing the stuff that he always dreamed and just try it. Got nothing to lose at this point, right? :-)

Ignore that aaaaa aaaaa alias - hes just a shit disturber :)

I did the same thing - and 40's not old - I've been playing guitar for less than a year (besides a little dabble 20 years ago) - - now I have 8 guitars and a 16 track recording setup

your in the right place! - ignore the dumbasses - there are a lot of very helpful people here

- And I'm your neighbor in Roswell :)

Welcome to the forum

Welcome Shrivel,

And 40 is definitely NOT old - you are just a youngster.

And whoever said "life begins at 40" was right (it was for me, anyway).

Things can only get better. :D

40??? Old???? Geeze...that means I'm ancient! :(
I was still single at 40, now that I'm .....uhm...older, and happily married to the most wonderful woman on the planet, I still perform regularly, record almost every day, and even though I've played guitar for over 40 years, and keys for 20, I still practice every day.

Playing an instrument is way awesome! Stick with it and reap the ample rewards.

Welcome.
Regards,

Welcome to HR, Shrivel !
You'll have to forgive aaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa for his angry outburst. He was Bin Laden's bodyguard and now he's out of a job and feeling murderous.

I figured I just had the bad luck of finding HR on a night when someone was having a bad day. I could tell from reading the forums for a bit that most everyone was pretty helpful.

Back