Introduction and an obscure solution to a firewire problem

JohnWatkins

Hello,

I've been lurking for some time now, and I guess now is as good a time as any to start contributing to the conversation. I've been recording just for fun since junior high (mid 80's) and have just starting getting pretty serious about it in the last year or so. I'll post pics and samples in the appropriate threads at some point.

Anyway, I figured out something over the weekend that might help someone else who's struggling with a dropped firewire connection. My interface would randomly just lose it's connection with the computer, requiring a reboot of everything. Sometimes while recording, but mostly if I walked away for an hour and came back. I thought maybe it was overheating or something. Turns out the culprit was a small refrigerator that was on the same circuit. I moved the fridge across the room and the problem went away. Who knew, right?

I'm really enjoying all the good info here, so thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience.

Best,

John

I moved the fridge across the room and the problem went away. Who knew, right?

Cool. glad you solved a problem and thanks for sharing it with others.

Yup, inductive motors, light dimmers, a/c units all on the same circuit as your computer/audio equipment is bad. One dedicated circuit for all your audio needs is the way to go. Also, buy a UPS. They have two branches in them, one that is battery backed and the other isn't. Both branches have excellent noise suppression, surge suppression and filters.

I have a simple APC ups and I run the computer, one monitor and a network switch off the battery and all the other computer stuff and my audio gear off the other branch.

Welcome to the site.

Back