Interstellar Overdrive - Pink Floyd Coer

queepy

aka Variaxman
One of the 1st riffs I learned on guitar...right after 25 0r 6 to 4 and smoke on the water....kinda stumbled on it while jamming with my band last week and thought it would be a fun one to mangle.....

MP3 Player SoundClick

Love the guitar layering that starts about midway. The beginning plods. I'm not familiar with the original (I'm a post-Syd/Gilmour era Floyd fan). I'm also a King Crimson fan, but don't like itCotCK. Same for early Gabriel Genesis. Early albums from prog/space rock bands don't appeal to me for some reason. Anyway...

You added a lot of reverse effects and used stereo pan that gives it an old school feel, obviously intentional. I found the fast panning a little distracting but not terribly so.

The snare gets buried at times. Really the whole drums sit a little too far back for my mixing tastes. In particular the snare during the guitar layering sections and the kick throughout just aren't loud enough.

Otherwise nice mix.

Sounds pretty good to me. I agree with Pinky RE:the snare and bass drum. Other than that, sounds great!

:thumbs up:

One of the 1st riffs I learned on guitar...right after 25 0r 6 to 4 and smoke on the water....kinda stumbled on it while jamming with my band last week and thought it would be a fun one to mangle.....

MP3 Player SoundClick

Man this sounds good. I can tell the drums are killer - just want to hear them more!!!! How did you do the drums?

Where space rock really began.
Nice one Queepy.

Yup, thanks Ray...big fan of Gong/Hawkwind etc....so I kinda tap those influences ;>)

Pinky : Love the guitar layering that starts about midway. The beginning plods. I'm not familiar with the original (I'm a post-Syd/Gilmour era Floyd fan). I'm also a King Crimson fan, but don't like itCotCK. Same for early Gabriel Genesis. Early albums from prog/space rock bands don't appeal to me for some reason. Anyway...
You added a lot of reverse effects and used stereo pan that gives it an old school feel, obviously intentional. I found the fast panning a little distracting but not terribly so.
The snare gets buried at times. Really the whole drums sit a little too far back for my mixing tastes. In particular the snare during the guitar layering sections and the kick throughout just aren't loud enough.
Otherwise nice mix.

Thanks Pinky....yeah, I kinda stretched the intro riff thing a bit too long.....was gettin in to it too much I think while playing it :>)
The original is much shorter in the intro, while much longer for the middle improv psychadelic part....I addressed the drums in a mix I will post at the end of the thread in a bit...think I have them in a better place...thanks for listening and commenting!

Mr Clean : Sounds pretty good to me. I agree with Pinky RE:the snare and bass drum. Other than that, sounds great!

Thanks Mr Clean...worked on the drums, will post new mix in a sec! Thanks for the listen!

dainbramage : Fucking amazing. That's about all I'm thinking as I listen to this.

Great job, you did a classic justice for sure.

Thanks so much dainbramage, glad ya dug it!

chuckduffy : Man this sounds good. I can tell the drums are killer - just want to hear them more!!!! How did you do the drums?

Thanks chuck! The drums are loops from Beta Monkee'sclassic rock collection.....I just kinda slice em up and arrange em the way I think sounds cool to me....I did kick em up in my new mix Im about to post.....Thanks for the listen!!!!

took the advice of the critiques I have recieved on this and tried to get the drums into a better place in the mix....the link at the top of the thread , as well as here, will play the new mix:

MP3 Player SoundClick

Wow that is mind blowing they are loops. The way you chopped them up I didn't get that feeling at all. I was really into how good the drum recording/playing was (even though a little low). The guitar layers and freak outs were great :-)

Wow that is mind blowing they are loops. The way you chopped them up I didn't get that feeling at all. I was really into how good the drum recording/playing was (even though a little low). The guitar layers and freak outs were great :-)
ha ! thanks...I just try and make them as real sounding as I can...lotsa guitars in the middle...used a e-bow on a few tracks to get a almost synth type sound at times...

Back