internship?

bradthefattest

Didnt know where to post this, so here it went. Please inform me of where it should go if this is not a good place.

I started recording in 8th grade, with the mic in of my computer and a 6 channel mixer. Now i have a 8 channel recording interface(aardvark audio direct pro q10) and have been recording 4 years. recorded around 10 bands, and like 4 bands i have been in, plus some random songs i made up and such. I want to learn more. Would love to some day build my self a studio, or work in a studio. I was wondering if anyone knows how to go about trying to intern or something at a studio so i could learn more. I dont know maybe just like do crappy labor work, or anything. that way i can be there paying attention to the recording the whole time also. My brother interned at Sugarhill recording studio in Houstin, Texas. and he loved it. but he got to intern there because he took a class at A&M on recording and that is how he got the connection for the internship. I just want to be at a studio watching, and learning. and would do whatever work they would want me to do to be able to do that. I dont even want to be payed. any info would be great.

-thanks, Brad.

edit> sorry forgot to mention i would be able to do this starting this summer, when i graduate from high school. and would be willing to do it for a few months or more. Willing to temporarily move to wherever i would need to do it. I have money saved up to afford all this.

best way...
find a studio you want to do an internship at, call them up and ask.
it's really that simple. if they are interested in letting you do it they'll say yes, if they don't have the room for you, they will say no. then you just continue on to the next place. internship will be generally unpaid and you'll probably be doing bitch work for quite awhile until they feel comfortable with you around the studio and want you to do some more work that might include audio work.
summer might be a bad time to do it though. a lot of higher end studios have clients that take their band on tour...and the summer is usually tour time, which means less work for the studio. So you may hear this as one of the reasons they say no to you.

Good luck. :cool:

i am in san angelo texas in the United States. i would probably go most places in america, but only if this place i was going had like a unbelievable recording engineer or something. i dont know. Anything really.

You want want many of us want, Brad. Good luck with it.

Just be prepared to be the resident engineer's tea brewing/dope rolling/lead coiling bitch for the duration ;)

bradthefattest said:
i dont know. Anything really.

That is the wrong thing 2 say. I got lucky how I got my engineering job at the studio I work at. I have known this guy for a couple of years he knew I was recording at the house and when I had questions he would answer them and then one day I was just up there talking to him and I started helping his artist with there song. And then next thing I know I did a couple of free engineering session and then next thing I know he started paying me so I got lucky but not knowing anything really can and will make it a lot harder for u.

Sorry, i didnt mean i dont know anything, I was saying i am willing to go to almost any studio, as long as it is good.

edit > more importantly, has a good engineer.

Ok but u do know at least the basics of engineering right? and also one thing that I do is if someone comes in and I see that they are interested in recording and I've had ppl ask me how much would u charge me to teach them. like I tell them i'm not good enough to charge YET! But I will teach them what I know because I wish I had someone teach me I had to learn on my own with the help of this board of course. Just go into the studio with your boys when they go to record and stand over the engineers shoulder and he might be cool and start explaining what he's doing. And after a couple of times then you can start asking questions.

Back