Internet Purchase of US Products

Knopfler Fan

This question really is addressed to other Canadians in the forum. I would like to purchase the Simpletech 512mb flash card from Amazon.com or some other US sites. When it comes across the border, will the Canadian government slap on a duty tax?

If so, once you factor in the duty tax, the exchange rate, then it's probably the same price as if I were to purchase the flash card in Canada.

Can someone please provide some insight?

Thanks,
KF

I am not Canadian, though I love Canada...

Having lived in Australia, I wonder... What if you have the card airmailed and shipped direct to your house? Are they as likely to check it, or does everything coming across get checked? In Australia, there were ways of importing things that were less likely to be assessed for import duties etc... Anyway, you have a great country. (not that I don't love mine, but I go to QC every winter for skiing and love it)

Computer products are duty free.

I doubt you will save much / anything, buying it from the US. Memory products are very similiar everywhere. Unless this is a niche product, must admit I've never heard of it.

I bought something from the US on Ebay recently. There was no duty, only GST, which I had to pay to the man who delivered it to my door. It does add up, doesn't it? But the prices I'm seeing for CF cards in the US are so much lower than in Canada that it may still be worth it to buy that way. Get out your calculator and figure it out. The cheapest I'm finding MR-8 compatible 256 mb CF cards here is about $179 CAN.

Back