Internet on my dedicated DAW system, go or no-no?

StudioRecorder

I've got a PM G4 733 Quicksilver with 1,28GB RAM and OS9.2.2 which is devoted for music making. Now I'm wondering, since my PC broke down last week and can't be fixed, if I can use my MAC for internet applications and 'Word' or if I should get a new PC/MAC for internet use only? What is better in the long run? I sure could use the money on something else than an internet computer but if it's not smart to use internet applications on a DAW computer devoted to music making, and since I'm very serious about the music bit, maybe it's better to get a new computer? What do you think?

I'd go with a new computer.

When I had internet enabled on my DAW along with AV and a software firewall I had nothing but issues.

I personaly think that too many people think that they can just take any PC that they have been using for Games, surfing, whatever and just expect that it will work for recording without any tweaks. That's never worked for me anyway...

Crap, I get a HUGE track count on this DAW (AMD 2600+ with 512 RAM) and play video's, and internet, and chat.

I often chat while I record and mix.

Of course, I use a true multitasking OS that doesn't have a bunch of "pretty" crap going on. :) You got a Mac, so I have no idea if you can do this. LOL..........

If you *can* keep your DAW a dedicated unit, yes, you should. If you can't, or it gives you no problems, that's fine too.

I know, it's a horrible answer, but it completely depends on your circumstances.

StudioRecorder said:
I've got a PM G4 733 Quicksilver with 1,28GB RAM and OS9.2.2 which is devoted for music making. Now I'm wondering, since my PC broke down last week and can't be fixed, ...QUOTE]

I don't believe multi use (music plus other apps) on a Mac is as big a no no as with a PC. I have an old g4 400 (1gig ram) running OSX 10.3.

I run music apps (audio & editing only, no softsynths or vsti's), photoshop, macromedia dreamweaver, iLife (including iMovie) and the internet all very happily. OSX is more stable than OS9, tho'....

Why not just try it, then build a new PC later if your not happy... -:)

Not using a Mac, but my DAW also has internet and I do some work on it as well. When I record I disable my internet connection, turn of Mcafee's Virus Scan and things run pretty smoothly for me - plenty of tracks using Cubase SX3 and VST's. I don't have a software firewall running as I have a router.

Guess if you have the $$$, buy yourself a nice new machine.

I have my DAW connected to the internet and no problems but my computers is way more powerful then yours

Athlon 64 3400+

400 gig Raid 0 config

1gig of 400mhz ram

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I was able to run 50 tracks @ 24/44.1 with 50 to 60 plugins('real' ones like waves, sonictimeworks, psp etc.) and I still had heardroom for my w/o a hiccup

this might be my last computer ever unless plug-ins become even bigger resource hogs

The more I'm reading here the more I'm thinking that I might still have more issues with my DAW than I thought.

Damn :(

ASUS K8V, justa FYI the onboard soundcard gets disabled if you have a PCI sound card installed

O yea the program was Samplitude 7.22 which is notoriously stable

In my setup, the DAW is firewalled behind an internet gatway/email client. I don't get viruses, malware, sniffers or anything on it, and it's rock solid.

You don't need much for an internet gateway. An old P3 will do if you're just running Word and doing email

Back