internal soundcard/interface

Opivy

Nova Police
So, Got my fast track pro - but now I don't have any sound through my computer =0

I'm under the impression I need to buy one of these

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/282357.html

and connect my speakers through the interface itself.

Until then, is there a way I can still run sound through my internal sound card?

I've tried going into my sound devices, and it won't let me switch from the fast track - so Im' basically not getting any sound at all - (not just through my DAW)

So, Got my fast track pro - but now I don't have any sound through my computer =0

I'm under the impression I need to buy one of these

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/282357.html

and connect my speakers through the interface itself.

Until then, is there a way I can still run sound through my internal sound card?

I've tried going into my sound devices, and it won't let me switch from the fast track - so Im' basically not getting any sound at all - (not just through my DAW)

If you're using Windows, you can put a shortcut to your Sound and Audio Devices control panel on the Quick Launch bar. Change your sound card selection between your internal card and the Fast Track as necessary.

peace,

I like the quick launch idea, but there's no where to click and change the card.

It's either, Fast Track - and if I unplug it and restart it goes back to SB Live!

No option to change it =(.

cubase.

News - I got it working,

Had to go buy a converter thing, but it didn't have a female end so I also had to buy a "couplet"

But I have to say - just from playing some VST instruments

The sound blew me away! so awesome, is there any way to use this thing for all sounds on my computer?

Sorry. I'll be a little more detailed.

Double click your speaker icon (volume control) in the taskbar.
Click "Options".
Click "Properties".
Click "Playback".
Highlight your Fast Track.
Unmute/mute all that's neccesary.
Click "Recording".
Unmute/mute all that's neccesary.

That should do it.

This is the part where you get to tinker, learn and enjoy your equipment, Opivy.
Get yourself a DAW that fits you, mess around with it, hook up a couple of mics and just generally get a feel for the whole process.
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the world of home recording.
p.s. Don't stare at the wee blue light. You'll go blind. :drunk:

thanks so much for the warm welcome guys! Really like it here,

So... deal is - Been using the Alesis multimix (if you guys have read my other thread) and the only way to get a signal was to crank the gain, main level, and channel level all the way up.

Well, turns out it might not be the mixer -

same problem with the fast track!!! Really disappointed, but My friend told me it might just be my XLR cables. I sure hope so - don't really have the money to afford a microphone yet-

It's as if I didn't even get a new interface =( same problems.

(BTW, I have 2 microphones, although they haven't been kept in good condition -ie. sitting in the garage without a case - both have the same problem.

Lay out your signal chain.
Tell us what you have, starting with the mics and ending at the monitors.
Please & Thank you. (And I doubt that it's your cables)

not sure exactly how to do that.

Really think so? I'm so hoping it's my cables, because both my microphones have the same issue.

And on the old Alesis interface, we were using my friends condenser mics with the same problem. (although we were using the same cables)

Any help is extremely appreciated - I can't get a decent sound at all. With the gain and level pumped all the way, it's still a real quiet and boxy type sound that seems to be more of the room then guitar/voice.

sorry for the double post but I get what you're saying now. (thougth you wanted me to bring up a screen)

Using a Shurec608 (but same results with a crapper 30 dollar mic)

going through a fastrack pro to USB.

Goes to Cubase 5, and now with the fast track pro, I have my speakers going through a converter to Dual RCA back into it.

I have to emphasise again though, I had the same issue going through my Alesis Multimix8 , on not only my PC but my friends lap top with some MXL condenser mics going to Sony Acid.

Copied from M-Audio website.

Mic Inputs (A/D)

Input Impedance 2.7k Ohms unbalanced, 5.4k Ohms balanced

Maximum Input Level from +24dBu @ min gain, pad on to -40dBu @ max gain, no pad

Channel-to-Channel Crosstalk < -110dB

SNR -101dB, A-weighted

Dynamic Range 101dB, A-weighted

THD+N 0.005% (-86dB) @ -1dBFS, 1kHz

Frequency Response 20Hz to 20kHz, +/- 0.1dB

Pre-amp Gain >40dB

Pad -20dB pad

If I'm reading this right, the Fast Track Pro only has 40db of gain. That might not be enough for your dynamic mic. Also make sure that the -20db pad is not engaged.

You could also use the device manager to enable and disable the audio cards. Thats what I used to do with my lexicon. Try this:

Start --->Right click on "My Computer" and select manage--->click on device manager---> scroll down to "sound, video, and game controllers" ---> enable the card you want to use and disable the rest.

Hope this helps you some.

I have my speakers going through a converter to Dual RCA back into it.
What's that?
Also: What exactly are you using for monitors? (speakers)

Thanks for that, Dastrick. I already alluded to the Preamps (I thought they were 60dB) but one of the others is getting excellent results with a dynamic mic. Also, that wouldn't account for the lack of output volume.

Other things to watch for, The Fast Track Pro has PAD switches on either channel. Make sure they are not engaged.
What outputs (Line out to speakers) are you using from the Fast Track Pro?
and.... You did get the Fast Track Pro, not the Fast Track USB, Right?
Also.... Crank the Master Volume in Cubase.

yup, fast track pro.

Well, cranking the volume in cubase isn't gonna change what I recorded -

And for spekaers, I'm using just plain old computer speakers that came with my computer.

They're going through a converter that goes to dual RCA and plugged into the back of the fast track pro in outputs 1 and 2.

well, I assumed that - (although the cables were bought separate) =p.

But should it be so impossible to get a decent sound"?

Back