Intergrating a PC Setup to Analogue system

McButtsky

I work in a small project studio, which although small, has done alot of work with some big UK bands but we dotn have any kind of PC based editing facilities. We dont even have a PC in the studio, for any use. And i find this both unprofessional and severely limiting. What i would like to do, using my own money is to buy a full PC setup to run Pro Tools, or the most suitable software for our needs, for editing purposes. We currently have a Soundtracs CM4400 32 channel analogue desk with Yamaha D24 MO tape machines. What i want to be able to do, is either record and edit all audio tracks, 24 at least, on the PC, then bounce them to the MO Tape Machines for mixing with the analogue desk. I dont like the idea of mixing on a PC, i like to physically puch or pull the fader and tweak the EQ. Unless there is dedicated hardware available purely for mixing using pro tools. Like an external plug in controller. Or the other thing to do, is to record all audio on the Tape Machines, then dump to the PC and edit it all there. I know very little about PC based recording and there are various things im concerned about. For instance, how do i go about getting the audio signal from the Mic and XLR lead into a PC since they have no XLR imputs, do i need special converters or some such. And secondly, if such a converter is needed, what is the maximum number of inputs available since i would need at least 15 or 16 when doing drum tracks.
The studio is fully stocked with all the mics and compressors/pre-amps we need, i simply want to be able to put all the individual tracks of a 24 track song into a Pro Tool kind of programe so i can edit and make a more professional recording. Is it possible and how would i do it. If its any extra help, the MO Tape Machines have all kinds of midi and digital outputs on the back as well as analogue ins and outs.

Cheers

Short of getting a pro tools system, you'll be wanting either a) 3 Delta 1010's synced in together, or B) A MOTU system (do they go up to 24? I've used one that is 16).

Sorry I cant be of more help.

hey there my kind brother. Sounds like you wanna go pro. Time to invest in a patch bay. In real studios everything is done at the patch bay. wanna dump from analogue to pc, do it at the patch bay. There is nothing unprofessional about not having a computer. I've worked in quite a few very good studios that don't have computers. Of course we are forced to buy them because most dipshits (that means you hip hoppers and electronic "musicians") for someone reason think computers are the shiznit. Most real studios who have computers track to tape, edit in the computer, then mix analogue. There is not much "in the box" mixing done at well regarded studios, although it is starting to become more common-place. You are on the right track wanting to mix on an anlogue console. There are reasons to do this beyond just "ease of use" Your patch bay does not "see" different connectors because there are no connectors at the termination points. It is all wire. Time to break out the soldering iron and sing "oh christmas tree, or christmas tree!" you could go punch-block but no pain no gain. so here you go: terminate all outputs of your tape machine at the patch bay. your 24 inputs for your computer sound card will also be connected at the patch bay. Happy patching! By the way we don't do all this soldering for the hell of it, it's cheaper mang!

Nubs my man, keep talking. So this patch bay lark. I need to wire all the Tape return wires to the patch bay?, then what kind of leads do i need to go from the patch bay to the PC, its a bantam lead patchbay and its integral to the desk, although it is modular. if thats any help. What sort of interface do i need for the PC, i've never seen a sound card with 24 input sockets on it. Also while im bending your ear. What sort of setup would u suggest i use. I want to be able to do full editing of all 24 tracks, like cutting/pasting doing reverse swells, pitch correct, beat matching etc. im think full blown pro tools but have also seen these systems. What do u think to them?

http://www.carillondirect.com/clnweb/clnwebsystems/systeminfo.jsp?system=Pro_Tools_LE_SS&country=UK

although i have no idea what that little 002 thing is, can u shed any light?.

Hey bud I would love to be in your position with all that analog gear. I started from the other end with digital basicaly because of our budget, but I'm workin my way there. What kind tape machines do you have? As far as helpin you out with your question here is my advice...

If your concerned with going industry standard then you will have to go with a pro tools rig of some sort and a mac g4 or g5, thats about all I can help you you with there. If on the other hand you want a nice user friendly interface that gets the job done and rivals pro tools with sound quality and flexability. I have a few recomendations for you.

If you can afford it go with the carillon packages. They are great and probaly the best computers around for audio. I would recomend you run Cubase Sx as your platform, I'm sure Blue Bear would second that. As far as interfaces you've got afew choices to pick from. If you don't need pre-amps and it dosn't sound like you do then take a look at aardvarks 24/96. It has 8 analog ins and outs with spdif in and out as well. You can connect up to four of these together in one computer which would give you 32 analog ins/outs and 8 digital ins/outs. I would also recomend you look at the mkIII from motu it has 24 ins/outs going to the computer via fire wire. Cost wise I would assume this would be your best choice.

www.aardvarkaudio.com
www.motu.com

and my site...............................................>>>www.2020audio.ca

Catch ya later!

Back