Interference?

coltonz

Well I am really new to this whole home recording thing, and I've been trying to record tracks on my laptop but they all sound like crap. I run my Schecter C-1 classic directly into my Yamaha MW8CX board and into my Gateway laptop using the USB thats supplied with the mixer, and I edit using Acid Studio 7.

Every time I listen to a recording of mine I get this heartbreaking interference-like sound.. Like that high-pitched buzzing.. Even when eq levels are at the lowest on the mixer and the gain and compression are turned all the way down the noise is there.. What do I need to fix this problem?

Can you monitor from the mixer to determine if the problem lies with your interfacing with the Gateway? My guess is that you should be using some kind of dedicated audio interface and not an onboard USB/AC97 audio solution.

Okay.. Im sitting here with my headphones plugged into the mixer... Im hearing this horrible static sound and its super loud. Neither the gain nor compression settings alter the volume of this static.. its not even plugged into the ocmputer now.. just pure static coming straight from the unit. Is my mixer busted or what?

The static is probably coming from the power supply on the laptop. Unplug it and run on batteries when recording. Let me know if this solves the problem.

Try plugging into other circuits in your house or somewhere else, too.
You may have some fault in your house wiring.

(I once took my recording setup over to my brother-in-laws house; he had a fault and I couldn't record anywhere in the place until he had an electrician out who found some serious problems....)

It could be any of 100 things causing your problem, eliminate all other electrical devices from the houshold cuircuit (unplug them all, switch of the lights at the fuse board or just with the switches if you dont have a seperate group) If that solves the problem, start switchig stuff back on and see what it is that causes the problem. Things like florescent lights are always a problem as are large appliances.

Back