Interference to computer monitor

hongteck

Just redid my setup. Now I have my computer monitor on top of my RA100 amplifier with my Alesis monitors on each side of the monitor. I notice some interference with the display whenever I switch on the amp. Am I leading to distruction of some of my equipments ? I've no other alternative to this new setup. Can anyone please advise what should I do ?

Probably what's happening is that when you switch on the amp and the power transformer energizes, it's creating a magnetic field and magnetizing the crt. Sort of like puting a magnet near the crt, which is not a good idea. If it's creating problems, my best advice is to move it.

Another thought...Possibly if you turn the amp on first and then the monitor, the degaussing coil in the monitor will be able to demagnetize the problem that the amp first created. You will have to have the monitor off for a while so that the degaussing thermistor cools. This is a device that is cool at start up and then as the coil draws current and heats up the thermistor causes the current to slow or stop when the degaussing process is finished. It may only be a problem when the amp is first powered up. Immediately when an amp is turned on and the power supply caps are charging and transistor bias is supplied there is a surge of current. After all of these things happen, the current goes down quite a bit. If this doesn't work, about all you can do is move the amp. Good luck!
:D

hongteck said:
Just redid my setup. Now I have my computer monitor on top of my RA100 amplifier with my Alesis monitors on each side of the monitor. I notice some interference with the display whenever I switch on the amp. Am I leading to distruction of some of my equipments ? I've no other alternative to this new setup. Can anyone please advise what should I do ?

I have several RA100's... and they all do the same thing. They generate large, noticable magnetic fields (especially if you have four of them like I do in a stack), and the best advice I can give you is to relocate either the monitor, or the amp, as your monitor will get magnitized over time. Some monitors have a degaussing coil that "fires" every time the monitor is powered on, however the magnetic field from the amp will undo that "fix" in a few hours.

If you have the cash, you might consider an LCD monitor - they don't take up much space, they are easier on the eyes, and are indifferent to magnetic fields. I have two 18" LCD monitors for my studio and I would never switch back. 15" monitors (1024x768) are very affordable, being 300-400 US depending if its on sale or not.

Hoep that helps,

Thanks for all your help. I've tried the degausing but as you have said, the problem comes back. The thing is that I don't have much alternative where I can place the amp with this new setup. Is there something I can put inbetween the amp and the monitor to reduce the effect ?

If all fails, I'll consider getting a LCD monitor. But then with the money isn't it better if I invest in a new set of powered monitor speakers ? I like my Alesis RA100 and Point 7 combo but I can do better can't I with the money.

hongteck said:
Thanks for all your help. I've tried the degausing but as you have said, the problem comes back. The thing is that I don't have much alternative where I can place the amp with this new setup. Is there something I can put inbetween the amp and the monitor to reduce the effect ?

If all fails, I'll consider getting a LCD monitor. But then with the money isn't it better if I invest in a new set of powered monitor speakers ? I like my Alesis RA100 and Point 7 combo but I can do better can't I with the money.

1/2" steel plate, tied to the third prong on your outlets :)

Why not put the amp in a small cabinet, hutch, rackmount box of some sort on the floor, and extend the speaker wires a bit? Certainly much cheaper than an LCD monitor (I know, I recommended LCD, just trying to help you be frugal :) )

Back