Interface

g6120

Any recommendations for a interface with a least 4 inputs for computer recording . Don't have much experience looking for some direction .

I've been very happy with my Focusrite USB converters, and you won't go wrong with any of their models. I'm sure others will have their own success stories. These days they all sound excellent, so you'll choose based on features and price.

--Ethan

I picked up the Presonus 1818vsl so that I could record my drumset.

So far it's been working great. It has 8 XLR combo jacks on the face of it with individual volume controls along with output volume and headphone volume. It of course provides +48 phantom power on all 8 channels (2 buttons for 1-4 and 5-8). The other channels come via lightpipe. There are also a bunch of ins and outs on the back of it. The pics look like it's made out of plastic, but it is in fact all metal.

Additionally it comes with Studio One 2 DAW software. I'm using Pro Tools 10 for most of the work I've been doing but the Studio One software has a failry nice mastering set up that lets you lay out your album, type up the track/album info, and then post it to iTunes or Soundcloud with one click. It also lets you use its internal processing to let you do things like add reverb or compression to a headphone mix for you singer, without dragging down your computers CPU. Handy. In either case it's definitely worth a look.

The Presonus 1818vsl has been $500 problem solver for me.

The problem with some interfaces (especially the cheaper ones) is that eventually they fail. I've gone through 2 or 3 of them. However, I now have a Zoom H4n that has the two XY mics on it plus two XLR/standard phone inputs. You could hook up 2 more mics or a mixer. I think for the money a unit like this (there are many similar in this price range) is well worth it.

The problem with some interfaces (especially the cheaper ones) is that eventually they fail. I've gone through 2 or 3 of them. However, I now have a Zoom H4n that has the two XY mics on it plus two XLR/standard phone inputs. You could hook up 2 more mics or a mixer. I think for the money a unit like this (there are many similar in this price range) is well worth it.

Everything fails eventually! The more you pay, the longer it will last? Sometimes. If the OP wants 4 mic preamps, the H4n won't cut it.

Hi,

I would recommend the Prosonus Audiobox 1818vsl. It works great and has up to 19 inputs (8 with mic preamps) when you include the digital inputs.

It is rugged, and holds up. I dropped my unit from the stage and the whole rack unit landed with the face of the interface on a rail. It only bent the know slightly and no effect otherwise on the unit. It also includes a virtual mixer you can use to control your FOH sound from a laptop on stage.

Hope this helps.

Everything fails eventually! The more you pay, the longer it will last? Sometimes. If the OP wants 4 mic preamps, the H4n won't cut it.
No, but for half the price of previously mentioned options, if the OP has a mixer it would work perfectly. The OP failed to mention budget, and that often will help define things.

Are the Tascam's pre-amps any good? If a product is advertised as "the most inputs into your computer for the minimum amount of cash", the manufacturer must be saving money on something, right?

Are the Tascam's pre-amps any good?

All preamps are good these days. The only exceptions IMO are preamps that aim to add "color" via tubes and transformers, or other intentional distortion mechanisms. Distortion is sometimes useful as an effect, but there's no need to pay handsomely for that. And like EQ, it's better to add distortion while mixing when you can hear everything in context.

--Ethan

Yep, I would agree here. The Tascam US1800 preamps are quite clean for the price. I spent 2 years with them, without a complaint. I did just upgrade to better, and there is a difference. But for the price, you can get quite close to greatness. :)

All the samples on my website in sig, are done with the Tascam units.

"Gimme" is really pro sounding, wow...thats a good advert for the Tascam. ..and HR.

I'm not so sure it sounds pro, but I will say that recording an artist that has their tone/vision together when they come in, makes things much easier.

The Tascam units have been perfect for capturing a performance. It has much more to do with the actual performance, and the sounds presented by an artist, that make it easier to move forward. I have quite a bit invested in room treatment, and spent much time learning my monitors, but I am nowhere near considering myself 'pro'.

Thank you for the compliment CoolCat! I am just like all of us here, in trying to find a way to make it all sound awesome. I have not gotten there yet. Moving forward every day. :)

+1 The US-1800 is very nice and cost effective. I got a restock for 150. The headphone jack has a knob that can turn a full 360 which is why it was returned I assume. Keep your eyes peeled though. These restocks pop up on different sites for 200 or less quite often!

US 1800 was on sale at Sweetwater new, for $200 a couple weeks ago. You just have to talk to a rep there, or look out for special deals. All sellers have a 'bottom line'. It is usually much less than the advertised price.

Create a relationship with someone who can work on the price...

You may be surprised what you can bargain, when you actually talk to someone who has the ability to cut prices. Just saying.. :)

I got mine G/C on a price match deal +10% off. It was on sale somewhere else for $199.99, so I got mine new for $180 + tax. The pre's sound clean to my ears. It'll run a ribbon mic, but not great, gotta turn the gain all the way up and it's still weak, but you can hear it. So far that's my only complaint, but its not legit. Not intended for ribbons.

Perhaps another good question is what kind of latency performance do these Tascam unit have...???

Indeed, another good question....

That would depend on your computers performance. I had 60+ tracks running, plug in effects more than probably necessary, while monitoring through Cubase (computer output) and US 1800, and recorded new vocal tracks with less than 10ms of delay. But then, I built a computer that does nothing but record. It not really the interface that causes latency. Some perform better than others in this respect, but it all comes down to your OS/MB that makes things happen smoothly.

If you have a slower computer setup, then latency will be an issue. It is not so much the drivers or interface, that you need to address. Never had a issue with the 1800/1641 with my setup. Though my PC was built to do what I ask of it.

Direct monitoring of the inputs with the 1800, is workable. Though you are dealing with a knob, that controls the mix of playback tracks, as well as the live recording track. No effects, nor volume control over the input signal. I have found that trying to listen to a direct signal while recording, is not beneficial for me. That is why I upgraded/built a computer that can handle playback through Cubase, and not have to worry about all the latency crap.

I upgraded to UR824's, which have their own DSP effects, and also have two new UAD-1 cards, that should allow me to get close to zero latency while recording.

Again, I really didn't have a problem with it before. It is your system, that will make or break your latency issues.

Back