Interface/Sound Card question

needlewithaprun

I'm in the market for a digital interface so I can plug my guitar into my computer and record with GarageBand. I'm looking at the Alesis I/O2 and the MAudion Delta 44. I have 2 questions:

1. Which is better?
2. Whichever I choose, will I need anything more than that to record with GarageBand?

Well...

I will be recording both electric and acoustic guitar but the real question is that, though the Delta has 4 inputs, it does not have any XLR inputs whereas the Alesis has 2. The Delta has 24/96 but the Alesis has 24/48. Eventually I will be recording vocals too and would want the XLR inputs for that. 4 channels is cool but more than I need at the moment. Does Delta make a 2-channel version with XLR inputs?

I think you'll be much happier with the IO2 at this point... XLR with phantom voltage for recording vocals later... and a line/instrument in on both channels... just offers more flexibility with just a slight compromise on quality

24/48 is not that bad then?
No... not in this case. At this price point, these are merely numbers that marketing folks throw around to convince you that their product sounds better, when the discernible difference is negligible.

I regularly record at 24/48 by choice... for reasons outlined in multiple other threads in this forum.

It depends on what you want to do with the result.

You want 24 for the dynamic range.

I like 24/96, but mainly because I do dual end results. CD and DVD. 96 let's me resample for each without having too much oddness in how that's done.

I also have a Delta 44, which is kind of a nice card, even though it doesn't have many of the extras that you get with other cards. Mic preamps / headphone preamps / XLR anything. Not present, just 4x In and 4x Outs all 1/4" TRS. If you want an all in one, NOT for you. If you plan on having higher quality PARTS to combine with a decent ADC. Perhaps something to consider.

I'd rather have a Layla 3G or similar myself. But I bought the Delta cheap on craigslist. Little did I know that I'd need hundreds more in cables, stands, adapters, and other things just to use it how you'd use any other cheap soundcard. Not that I wouldn't need all this stuff eventually anyway. It was just kind of a rude awakening to go from wow, a $300 soundcard for $100. To the actual cost of ownership to USE it.

Back