Interface/sequencer package - recommendations?

pash

Hi,
I want to get an interface bundled with something like Cubase for my Windows laptop. I'm after something pretty easy to use as I'm really not that techy. I'm only going to be recording one thing at a time so number of inputs doesn't really matter. All I really care about is no latency, the sequencer being easy to use and price - I don't really want to pay much more than £100. Also a built in compressor too - but I think most of them have this.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Compressor built into the DAW or built into the interface?
I don't know about any interfaces with compressors built in, but all DAWs have them.

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is the best budget interface in my opinion.
It's got two inputs with quality preamps in case you ever have a need to do some stereo recording with two mics, or jam with a friend or something...

It's bundled with Ableton Live though and not Cubase.
I use Ableton and Cubase and can vouch for both of them as excellent programs for beginners and pros alike :) Ableton is a little easier to use though in terms of routing and setting everything up - you don't have to navigate through all sorts of menus and stuff.

Also, Steinberg, the makers of Cubase, have an interface callled the UR22 that's bundled with a version of Cubase.

Compression in an AI? Rare at budget prices..
There was this.
Novation Nio

But it seems to have sunk without trace. Probably did not survive the Blista epidemic! (I'll have a look the morrow for W7 drivers) In any case it is £50 over budget.

Pash, you can't have "no" latency and run signals in and out of the PC and as Kidage says, you will almost certainly have to use a compressor in a DAW.

But what are you going to record? Voice, guitar, nose flute? Whatever, you really do not need compression "going in". If you record at 24bits (and 44.1kHz) and keep the average levels down at -20dBFS (Google that!) you should be in no danger of overload. Digital is NOT tape!

Dave.

The Focusrite one seems like it has everything I need & is in the right price range, so I'll probably go with that. Thanks guys

You mentioned Cubase, don't have that nor MIDI. Steinberg UR22 has both and is often found cheaper.

This is true.
He did say "like Cubase" though, so I don't think he's too picky; He probably just wants any sequencer capable of doing stuff.

The MIDI thing is something to consider if you have MIDI hardware, pash.
The majority of MIDI controllers nowadays go MIDI over USB, so it might not be an issue.

Yeah as long as it does the same job as Cubase it doesn't matter if it's Cubase or not. MIDI not really an issue as I'll just be using a drum sequencer on the laptop and lined-in bass/guitars. Will have a shop around for prices on the Steinberg versus the Focusrite. Thanks

I'm getting the Yamaha THR10X for XMas, it comes with cubase AI and has a midi output / input, you can play your guitar parts into cubase and it will play all the other parts off the track back thru the amp. you can even tweak extra parameters on the amp that arent available on it's front panel. I live somewhere where I can't blast a 5150, so the 10 amp suits me fine

Back