Interface/Monitor choice help?

frown888

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting into some basic home recording. I mainly just want to lay down some guitar tracks and possibly a bit of vocals sometime. I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 2I2, because it has the 2 xlr with phantom power and the 2 1/4" inputs.

It has two 1/4" outputs on the back for the left and right monitor speakers. What I was wondering is what monitor speakers, adapters or other connections would I need? I have a 5.1 set of Logitech X540's, but it has one main 1/8" male jack which you plug in to get sound. Would I be able to get a splitter, then a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and plug it into the interface?

My price range is around the $100-200 mark as I'm only starting out.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Those Logitech are computer speakers, not monitors. You can use them, but they won't give a very good neutral sound for mixing. You would need an adapter that goes from 1/8" stereo female to two 1/4" (L + R) male. You may need to go 1/8"F-stereo to 2x1/8"M-mono first, then two 1/8"F-1/4"M adapters.

Thanks for your reply! I'll have to use the speakers for now, dont have the funds for a set of decent monitors haha. I found a cable that came with the speakers, I think its meant to be used for connecting xbox and gaming consoles to it. It has female stereo 3.5mm to red and white rca female connectors. Would plugging the speakers into the adapter, then having rca male to male connectors, then connected to female rca to 1/4" adapters, so i'd have 2 1/4" L + R inputs into the interface? I'm not sure what having that many adapters would do, but its all I can think of?

I found this cable, called a Hosa Y Cable 3.5mm to dual 1/4" TS . It has the stereo 3.5mm to 2 mono TS 1/4" jacks. Its meant to plug an ipod or whatever into a mixer. Do you know if cables like that work both ways? If so I could plug the 3.5mm directly into the speaker system and the other end into the interface.

So If I get this cable and plug it into the output of the interface, can I set my macbooks audio out to the interface and play music ect through the interface and out the speakers, instead of plugging the speakers directly into the computer? Thanks

Back