interface for recording guitar

appetite4gnr

I am looking for a recording device with the least amount of inputs. All I am recording is guitar. I currently own a Line 6 Toneport GX ( it is currently known as the pod studio gx). However, I can never decrease the buffer size to the minimalist settings or else I can lots of glitches and the sound goes out. I just have so many problems with this device when trying to decrease latency even after d loading latest drivers and updates.

So can anyone recommend me a decent usb interface for recording guitar? I would like stay under $200.

btw i am using a pc

Last edited:
Tascam US800. It's discontinued, but still available. Others have indicated B&H Photo/Video still has it for $99.

a much better option, would be to take a sweet tube amp, and capture a line level off the speaker out, using a filtered cabinet direct box device like a Palmer PDI-09 or Radial JDX.

a superlative sound to any sim

the output of the device can go directly into the analog input of your soundcard for conversion.
almost zero latency.

Look at the Lexicon Alpha, If they still make them I think they were replaced but thats a nice little 2x2 usb, and comes with a nice verb plug in

I personally suggest the Tascam US122L (there are newer version too). I'm actually selling on eBay right now for roughly half market price.

I haven't experienced any latency in it, and it's quick to set up. I have an old computer, but it was still not too much of a hassle to download the drivers for it.

Let me know and I'll post the link for the one I'm selling if your interested.
The Tascam US800 is also a very nice one, but it has more inputs than you probably need. There are plenty of other very nice used (and new) small ones out there. But make sure it's USB 2.0 (in case you have 1.1 now, which could be the cause of the latency).

Good luck :)

Back