Interface Clipping, Vocals. HELP!!!!!

Emphasis

I recently started tracking vocals with an M audio Fast Track USB interface.

The interface only has two LED indicator lights, which is kind of a hassle.

A Green led, and RED led, which comes on when I'm clipping or about to clip.

When tracking my vocals in my DAW, I found a comfortable fader level, which works well with my dynamic range (without having to use hardware or software compression).

MY PROBLEM:

Within my DAW, there is rarely any clipping when I record. (I usually set my between -4 and -7)

However, the red led indicator on my interface is constantly coming on, even if I'm nowhere near clipping in my DAW.

Even when I engage the -10dB pad on my mic, the RED LED still comes on!

I'm using the fastrack's built in gain/preamp knob, which is really just a shoddy variation between "on" and "off"

(there's not much of a "gain" variety)

MY QUESTION:

Basically, can clipping in my interface corrupt my track, even though my DAW doesn't show any clipping?

Like, will my track be corrupted before it even enters my DAW?

I don't actually hear clipping or distortion, but that RED LED is just a constant nuisance!

Would using a different preamp before my fast track be of any help?

(Any USB fast track users...this is the low end model that comes with M-Powered -__-)

Any tips, suggestions?

My current set up is as follows: Sterling Audio St59 > Nady Phantom power > M Audio fast track (built in preamp) > Logic Pro

Never used that interface but it's odd the pad doesn't help.
I'd say run some level/recording tests. Using something with a clear and constant tone or chord might make this easier- you'd want be able to hear distortion comming on..
Keep stepping up the sound (and/or input gain), make notes of where the led's status is vs where the level in the DAW hits 0db full scale -make sure the meter is set for peak if it isn't already.

It's possible to have a analog input beging to distort below a converter's max level.
But since the analog front end is in the same kit as the converter, one would hope at least they would have the two reasonably sorted out for ya though.

When tracking my vocals in my DAW, I found a comfortable fader level, which works well with my dynamic range (without having to use hardware or software compression).

What fader are you talking about here?

Within my DAW, there is rarely any clipping when I record. (I usually set my between -4 and -7)

Could you clarify what these numbers mean?

Assuming the numbers I quoted are dBFS then you are running things a bit hot. The constant flashing of the peak LED suggests the same. You may not be clipping the converters but you might be overloading the analog input stage. Set your level so you barely flash the peak LED and then set your monitoring volume to that.

Back