Interface/Card Suggestion (Comp. to Duet)

urobolusmusic

Hi there,

Looking for suggestions on an interface as I am really wanting to upgrade my old Edirol DA-2496. The Apogee Duet almost convinced me to switch to Mac but learning a new OS and recording software--not to mention the cost of good Mac--doesn't sound appealing right now.

Definetly want to keep it under $2,000. My original plan was to get a RME RAYDat, a 2-channel AD, two channel strips, and a Lavry DA10 but all that would be over $5000 and I only plan on recording myself. That is why I only need 2-channels. I pretty much use sample libraries for everything but will start recording vocals, guitar, bass, some percussion when I move.

So can anyone suggest a Duet alternative for PC? Kind of want to stay with PCIe and not firewire though. Also, 64-bit OS drivers would be nice too as I want to switch to that. (Using sample libraries is draining my 32-bit, 4GB max, system for sure).

Was looking at the EMU 1820M but the only thing that seems to stand out on that unit is the preamps which I won't be using much at this point in time. Also it is PCI.

Was looking at the Apogee Mini-Me too, but the USB and no DA conversion kind of put me off.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Uro

Well, my research thus far hasn't really resulted in anything spectacular so I am thinking about modifying my original plan.

The EMU 1212M PCIe caught my eye for a couple reasons:

- Cheap (like $700 cheaper than the RME I was thinking about)
- PCIe
- 64-bit OS drivers
- more i/o than I'll ever need

Has anyone had much experience with it? Are the drivers good? Also, does it actually utilize the PCIe bandwidth or is it just a PCI card with PCIe sockets?

The M-Audio Audiophile 192 caught my eye too, but isn't PCIe.

Thanks,

Uro

Also, (kinda dumb question) using the SPDIF or ADAT would bypass the AD/DA conversion on the card if i'm using outboard AD/DA, correct?

I imagine the onboard effects are the suck, but just curious if anyone has had any experience with them.

Back