Interesting...

Don't care if someone likes his music or they don't. You have to give the man his due. He plays several different instruments, obviously knows his way around the studio, and is prolific as hell. More talented than Michael Jackson ever was. No telling how much that deal was worth on just publishing royalties alone.

I like his stuff. If somebody doesn't, it's gotta be either because you don't like that kind of music, or you can't stand the size of his ego.

I like his stuff. If somebody doesn't, it's gotta be either because you don't like that kind of music, or you can't stand the size of his ego.

I'll admit that I never really "got" Prince. He's had a bit of a renaissance over here recently after doing a load of shows and a lot of people seem to have gone crazy for him - but I've never heard anything of his that I actually like.

I remember playing Purple Rain for the first time full of anticipation about hearing this classic album and then being completely underwhelmed by the horribly dated synth funk that it turned out to be. Just sounded really awful.

I am not a Prince fan, for various reasons, but I think his ego has more to do with his push to make his music his way. The music industry is quick to tell artists, "do this, do that", and the only way to fight them is with an attitude. That comes off as ego.

Did you ever see the Purple Rain movie? There are scenes where he's looking in the mirror having conversations with himself. Sums it up, I thought. Self-adoring and self-obsessed. But I like the music he makes. Which might be saying something revealing about my own personality, actually. I've heard his music described as 'Tourettes music' because of the herkyjerky way it moves.

It's easy to stick to your guns and tell the man to fuck off when you've already "made it". I'm sure he had to suck some corporate cock before Little Red Corvette hit the airwaves.

I'm not a Prince fan, but I do have a shred of respect for people that do whatever they want to do with their music.

I had a guy that worked for me that usta work for prince.
He said that he has a storage stock of recorded music that goes on for ever.
Prince could put out a song every day for years to come without havering to write a new song.

The Black album was OK and some of the more classic rock style stuff too but I couldn't get into too much. I did enjoy watching/hearing him play lead guitar.

I've read where other jazz cats have said that he's a great jazz player also. I respect the guy for sticking to his guns. He was signed young, but could've been signed even earlier had he agreed to let other people produce him. Most people would sell their souls to get signed, but he didn't. I have to respect that.

Back