Interesting Mic Scenario For Your Input

capnreverb

I do a lot of recording with treated horns (playing sax/bass clarinet through effects like delay and reverb). I've gotten real good at creating sax choirs with overdubbing reverbed out sax solos. Here's the situation I want to record.
I have access to a building lobby space that has mind boggling natural reverb/decay. Its got to be at least a few seconds or so of natural bliss. I want to record some improvised sax solos in this space. I was hoping to use just two mics.

Here are the mics I was going to use (I have more, but these seem to lend themselves).
2 groove tube single pattern tube mics
2 AT4033's
2 Studio Projects C4's (omni or cardiod capsules)

I want to get a real full sound, with more of the room acoustics than an accurate spot on recording. I want the feel of the natural reverb in all it's glory, with some clarity of the natural source.

I thought about using any of the matched pairs or a combo of whats above.

My quick guess, and I dont really have a good reason other than gut feel, is to have one of the tube mics closer to the horn, and having a C4 w/omni placed as far away as a I can get it.

If I bring all my fricken mics to the space and test every possible scenario, I'm afarid it will kill all the inspiration I have for the space and the improvisations.

What would you guys do?

Humm... the first day I'd walk the room and try all your mics... the second day I'd use the best.

capnreverb said:
My quick guess, and I dont really have a good reason other than gut feel, is to have one of the tube mics closer to the horn, and having a C4 w/omni placed as far away as a I can get it.

If I bring all my fricken mics to the space and test every possible scenario, I'm afarid it will kill all the inspiration I have for the space and the improvisations.

Then that sounds like a good place to start as any. Give it a shot and see what happens. Come mixdown time, you can blend the near mics with the distant mics to taste . . . being wary of phase, of course.

Back