Intel Or AMD? will everything still work?

.:Wyze Loc:.

will these work on an AMD processor PC?

adobe audition
m-audio mobile pre
Presonus TubePRE

well im lookin to buy a new pc and was wondering if should stick to intel or would amd make a difference?

Been Intel for years stayed away from AMD because of thermal management

Like Intel gets hot it protects its self by slowing down to cool off

AMD did not do that for the longist now they are.

Im going to give them a try on my next computer build.

Should get very good results from it.

My 2 Watts :D

for Multimedia use and any application that processes with compression ( IE audio encoding ) or video, Intel P4 processors tend to be better because this type of processing works better with higher clock speed processors. Intel processors have higher clock speeds the majority of the time.

For playing games , cruising the net and other applications the AMD is somewhat a better buy because of a combination of Price and temperature management.

Best bang for you buck = AMD

Best processor for audio and compression = Intel

I would go for a 64 bit platform myself , you can get a athlon 64 2800+ but it is socket 754 ( which is platform that will be discontinued soon ) .

I wouldnt bother with an athlon xp 2800+ if it is the barton core processor as it is not optimised for 64 bit code. The athlon 64 and semperon 64 based systems have a 64bit instruction layer built into them. For what you want to use you will find yourself upgrading faster than you think

You might want to also look at the Intel Pentium 820 chip (64 bit instruction layer and dual core) this would be a better option for you and is also a very good price point.

Dual core processors are great for audio applications, especially given you may be using the 3 applications all at once that have listed earlier.

Ram is also a big consideration , go for at least 1Gig (or as much as you can afford to stuff in the computer).

.:Wyze Loc:. said:
^^^ really? awww man thanx for tellin me that

what intel processor is good?

Dude, your officially getting f*#ked with at this point. There is not a tube preamp that will blow a processor.

The majority of people I talk to have switched from Intel to AMD for Audio applications. I personally just switched from a 2.8ghz Pentium 4 to a 2.2ghz AMD Turion. The AMD is a faster chip with a faster front side bus and a larger cache.

Furthermore, you don't need dual core processors to run freaking Adobe Audition. That's the only "application" you're running. You're not running an application by having a Tube Pre and an M-Audio interface hooked to your PC. I don't know if your posters above are just screwing with you or if they just don't know their ass from a hole in the ground about audio applications.

You'll be fine with AMD, I promise.

i'm new to the world of computer recording, but in the past, i've had way better experiences and better machines with AMD processors.

I don't know if your posters above are just screwing with you or if they just don't know their ass from a hole in the ground about audio applications.

This type of reply is why I dont usually offer advice on forums because someone else will always shoot down a suggestion without thinking for more than 5 seconds about their reply or simply just shoot off incorrect information due to solid ignorance.

The fact you are running a dual core processor will help overall because you machine has to run more than 1 processing thread at a time.

If you think for a moment you are running multiple applications the second you have booted your PC.

Examples :

Virus scan
spyware blocking tools (windows defender)
possibly third party firewall
peer to peer software
instant messaging programs
office application quickstarts

the list goes on.

So once your single audio application loads your machine is probably runing many other threads , services , applications anyways, this is where dual core and hyperthreading technologies will help your performance.

Most people buy AMD for games and graphics intensive applications , OR use it in audio because its cheaper and now widely available.

It is however solid fact that an Intel processor will beat a similar compared AMD processor in audio compression / decompression chores.

I personally just switched from a 2.8ghz Pentium 4 to a 2.2ghz AMD Turion. The AMD is a faster chip with a faster front side bus and a larger cache.

Of course its faster , its a different class of chip :rolleyes: (the turion is the mobile athlon 64 chip btw not a desktop chip), you are trying to compare a 64 bit processor with an older P4 processor ( hardly a fare comparison ) that is 32bit. If you want to do a fair comparison to your P4 chip then run your applications on a 2800+ Barton core 32bit AMD athlon and see which machine runs out of steam first working with audio.

I Use an Athlon FX57 processor in my box because I game , if i didnt game i would ditch it and go for one of the higher end P4 processors.

Uptodate cost on an Intel Pentium 820 dual core 2.8 Ghz 64bit processor is $169 canadian

Uptodate cost on a AMD 64bit s939 3200+ (running at 2 ghz) is $209 canadian.

AMD will be the best bet for games , Intel all the way for Audio or any file compression / decompression.

read this :-

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/01/06/revving_up_in_the_new_year/page36.html

Last edited:
Tube Pre and an M-Audio interface hooked to your PC.

How do you think that these devices comunicate with the computer ? they require device drivers ( in other words another process loaded into resident memory in order for the cpu to "process" information to and from the device ).

cortexx said:
How do you think that these devices comunicate with the computer ? they require device drivers ( in other words another process loaded into resident memory in order for the cpu to "process" information to and from the device ).

Do you actually believe a $100 sound card with a $100 Preamp and a $150 program needs dual core processors?????

Its overkill and not needed.

Anyone that is doing any serious audio work is not going to be running antivirus, instant messenger, and all the other little meaningless tasks.

I'm not arguing with you on which chip is better on paper (I prefer AMD), I'm just saying there is no need to go with a dual core pentium for what he is wanting to do.

Last edited:
I agree that for audio/video compression and decompression, the Intel slays the AMD. But when you have a DAW and you need to play several wav tracks at a time, the faster "barebone processing speed and bus" of the AMD will pay off.
Intel is always behind AMD in brute computing power, which is what you need when you apply effects and play simultaneous files.
The Intel is a "home duty" processor enhanced for video games and MP3 encoding...very AMATEUR if you ask me...
I write this message on an Intel PC and I swear it's my LAST Intel based PC.
AMD is just so much powerful...

if you can afford a 64bit it won't hurt, cause if you guys want to admit it or not socket A is dieing, 64bit is the new shit and town, i would definetly go witha a low end 64bit barebones or somthing to build on.

Back