Intel Core Duo

Jamie Jukosky

So, I'm in the market for a new laptop for musicmaking and my college lectures. Anyway, at work I have a desktop that is probably 1.5 years old and has a 2.7GHZ Pentium 4 processor. Does anybody know how the new intel core duo processors compare? I'm not sure whether to get a 1.8ghz core duo or spend the extra $$$ for the 2.0ghz or above. I've been looking at both PCs and macbooks.

it will be WAY faster. The core architecture has a number of benefits over the P4 which make comparing clock speeds pointless.

They'll probably stop making multiple processor systems, and soon we'll have quad-core and beyond (well, we do already, but not for the consumer).

Fireal402 said:
They'll probably stop making multiple processor systems, and soon we'll have quad-core and beyond (well, we do already, but not for the consumer).

They'll never stop making multiple processor systems. There's always going to be high demand for companies in need of servers.

Mindset said:
They'll never stop making multiple processor systems. There's always going to be high demand for companies in need of servers.

Servers are not the only use for multiprocessor systems. I am a 3D artist and have used Dual Xeon Dell Workstations at work for the past 3 years because I need the extra CPU power for rendering.

brzilian said:
Servers are not the only use for multiprocessor systems. I am a 3D artist and have used Dual Xeon Dell Workstations at work for the past 3 years because I need the extra CPU power for rendering.

yeah your right too, there's many different uses for multiprocessor computers out there in the world. It would be very hard to phase them out.

I've read an article on a company that build an 8 processor (4x dual core Opteron) workstation for 3d rendering. Don't know much about the results but it did work for them.

brzilian said:
Alot of people go to college towns at the end of the year and dumpster dive for old systems to make render farms. As long as you got windows pro on one of them you can link computer to each other and render layer's. It cuts your render time from hours to minutes. also if one crashes(rendering uses mad cpu power) you only lose one layer.

Damn dude you got one hell of an expensive set up. Have you ever been in 3d world mag(i get it every month still). What 3d program do you run? maya, 3ds max, cinema 4d, realsoft 3d?.

I play with animation master myself, But for times sake i just make 2d in photoshop. I got out of 3d because you need to make everything. I can spend 2 hours rigging a flower. Then i also need: a cup, a table, a chair, a human, background etc.... just for one shot. I can draw it quicker since i am just making a smart ass cartoon. My wacom intuos 3 sped my 2d up to a level that makes 3d out of the question (professionally speaking). I still like to tinker with 3d thou(and have mad respect for it).

Halion said:
I've read an article on a company that build an 8 processor (4x dual core Opteron) workstation for 3d rendering. Don't know much about the results but it did work for them.
You should see a picture of pixar's render farm. They could light light my whole town from the energy they use.

Fireal402 said:

Well, the new Mac Pro's (not macbook pro's) are dual duo-core's. That's pretty much quad-core. . .

The new core dou's are amazing. I wish I would have known they would be that good before I built my AMD system, though it is super solid and reliable, and prolly faster than I will ever need.

That's pretty much quad-core. . .

not really. multicore processers are not all equal, how they integrate into the chipset, how their cache is utilized, memory transport and so forth are all key aspects. Just having 4 cores means nothing. we had several 4 way pentium pro workstaions way back when (over a decade ago) and there were 8 way machines back then already. The modeling SGI machines I used in school had way more than 8 (later Altix systems were based on 128 processers)

the key today is price and whether or not your software actually uses the multiple cores.

Core 2 Duo

Be sure you're buying the Core 2 Duo chips to get the latest and greatest from Intel. The Core Duo is older. Go to www.tomshardware.com or www.anandtech.com for some great info. The power requirements on the Core 2 Duo are VERY low and it has by far the most power per watt out there compared to any other dual core chips.

The power requirements on the Core 2 Duo are VERY low and it has by far the most power per watt out there compared to any other dual core chips.

Not to mention they are compatable with existing sockets and chipset AND are very affordable (start at 185$)

Back