Integrating Delta 1010, monitors, preamps, and a headphone amp

scottn5388

I have a question about how to integrate a Delta 1010, a headphone amp (Behringer HA4700), a monitoring system, and a few preamps. I’m hoping I’ll be able to describe this thoroughly enough so that you all understand it, but I may end up attaching a drawing if all does not go well. This is the way I currently have it all set up:

-Preamp outs run directly to the Ins (1 through 8) of the Delta 1010
-Outs 1&2 of Delta 1010 to monitoring system (A small mixer à Power Amp à monitors)
-Outs 3&4 of Delta 1010 to headphone amp (feeding 4 sets of headphones)
-In the Delta control panel, I have Out 1&2 routed to the “monitor mixer” so that I can hear both the tracks that have already been recorded, and the sound coming from the preamps.

So say I’m overdubbing with a mic running into one of the preamps and then on to Input 1 on the Delta 1010. I can hear what’s already been recorded in both the monitors and the headphones (Outputs 1-4), but I can only hear the source from the preamps in the monitors, not the headphones.

Is there a way to set it up so that both the pre-recorded tracks, and the source from the preamps can be heard in both the monitors (Outs 1&2) and the headphones (Outs 3&4)? It seems as though I can only route the Monitor Mixer output of the Delta 1010 to Outs 1&2. Is there any way around this?

Thanks,
Scott

I noticed that too. The Monitor Mixer option is available for Outs1&2 only, I'd like to know why as well.

You are right in that the monitor mixer can only be assigned to outputs 1/2. The way I over come this is to run my headphone amp from an aux send from my mixer. Basically I run everything I want to listen to (preamps in and playback tracks through outputs 1/2 of my delta to 2 input tracks of my mixer. If I want to listen over my speakers I turn the master output slider up from the mixer to my monitors. If I want to track over headphones , I simply turn the master down but feed the aux send to my headphones. Since it is not affected by the master output fader I can shut off the playback speakers so I wont have feedback or bleed to the mics.

I have worked this way for many years withou issues. If you want more / different headphone mixes, you can set up different aux feeds from your recording program and send them out different outputs on your delta to more tracks of your mixer and use the aux sends to create all kind of headphone feeds.

Works for me anyway.

Tom

stop by a local radio shack and pick up 2 mono splitters...put one splitter in the Out1 and the other in Out2 plug one set to the monitors and one set to the headphone amp. (i have the same setup and this is what i do)

Whoa, there's a much easier way to fix this. Instead of running your first two outputs, to your monitors, send them to your headphone amp. That headphone amp has main outputs on the back, so send those to your monitors.

This way, what your hear in your monitors, is what will be heard in the headphones. Oh, and the outputs on the back of the headphone amp, are not affected by any of the controls on the unit. The signal just goes straight through.

Wow, that's a really brilliant idea that is so obvious I would have never even thought about it! Thank you distortedrumble!

Cheers,
Scott

In Tune Audio said:
Whoa, there's a much easier way to fix this. Instead of running your first two outputs, to your monitors, send them to your headphone amp. That headphone amp has main outputs on the back, so send those to your monitors.

This way, what your hear in your monitors, is what will be heard in the headphones. Oh, and the outputs on the back of the headphone amp, are not affected by any of the controls on the unit. The signal just goes straight through.

Is this going to degrade the sound running to the monitors in any way? I would think running through yet another device would just introduce more noise?

Thanks,
Scott

Probably very minor, because you are adding an extra connection. But not nearly as much as splitter cables.

Plus you have to remember that the any degration of sound will just be on the output stage. It won't affect the recording at all, just what you hear, and the difference would most likely not be audible.

What you can do, is have it setup this way to record, and take it out of the chain while your mixing. Little bit of a pain, but it would work.

actually...running the splitters doesnt degrade the signal..theres no difference. it'd be the same thing as running them through the headphone amp but i dont run anything out of the headphone amp due to the fact that if the headphone amp starts acting up, i worry what is sent to the monitors. by running the splitters straight from the delta 1010, i have what is comming from the 1010 exactly.

its not bad as long as items recieving the signal are powered. splitting the signal 3 times is a noticeable difference though....i have splitters on splitters currently so a set go to the home theater speakers.....but just splitting the signal to the monitors and the headphone amp isnt bad at all

Ditch that junk and get a Lynx. Any input is assignable to any output.

Lower latency too.

c7sus said:
Ditch that junk and get a Lynx. Any input is assignable to any output.

Lower latency too.

While I agree that the delta series aren't the highest end convertors, for a home recordist, they pretty decent.

Also, what latency? I used to have a delta card, and there was no latency monitoring that way, because it wasn't going through the DAW software. It's just hardware monitoring.

hehe....I'm new to this board, so I'll keep my comments to myself untill I get to know some of you..... :)

The Delta 1010 is a fine piece of equipment. It is capable of making some damn fine sounding recordings. As far as the original question in this thread - the idea of plugging the monitor cables into a headphone amp, and then using the outputs (or thru jacks) to feed the monitors works great. The best thing I know of for this is the Presonus HP4. You can mute the monitors with the push of a button and still monitor with head phones. Perfect for recording vocals with a condenser. You can get one for around $100.00......

Back