Instrumental works in progress

Hey guys, only started posting links here today - how do I get the Soundcloud player to appear in my posts?

Last edited:
A lot of views but no comments. Any thoughts, anyone...Ferris? I know these are rough tracks, just wanted to get some second opinions on direction/suggestions for improvement.

(Bump!) Guys/gals, I'm a bit mystified as to why I've had a lot of views but zero comment response to my home demos. Is this an exclusive club or something? I see other folks posting stuff here and getting responses but so far to mine, nada. As a new contributor here with a lot of interest in this forum, I'd like to be a regular contributor & listener/reviewer, so any comments: positive, negative, or somewhere in between would be cool! (I'll check out some of your tracks over the weekend and post some thoughts.)

You might want to do some work on the tracks, in so much as a lot of the guitar playing comes across as lacking in emotional delivery and purpose. You have some unwanted distortion where you have overstepped the headroom with your guitar, the licks in places are out of time and some notes are bordering on the wrong key. The overall impression is a man on a mission, only someone stole the mission but he went anyway. I produced similar the couple of weeks I owned a multi-tracker, kind of, all new toys so what do I do now. I hope you don't think I'm being harsh as I'm simply being honest and trying to help. You obviously have enthusiasm and can play, I suggest you think about expressive playing of less notes and initiate yourself with some emotive playing of single notes where you can convey the feeling around personal things which have impacted upon you in a big way. Listen to guitar tonality on tracks you admire, tailor your own with a leaning towards something that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. As an exercise imagine the notes of your tele track as vocal phrases in conversation and see if it's a chat you want to have any time soon. You've used question and answer phrasing in parts of that track, which is the highlight of that piece.

regards

Tim

The mix is fine so keep up the good work there. The clap track is a bit wonky at the end..The distorted tone is really fizzy so if you can dial up a better tone that would help. Plus you have the scales down, bendddddd a few notes for that bluesy feel!

The mix is fine so keep up the good work there. The clap track is a bit wonky at the end..The distorted tone is really fizzy so if you can dial up a better tone that would help. Plus you have the scales down, bendddddd a few notes for that bluesy feel!

Much appreciated, suggestions noted!

You might want to do some work on the tracks, in so much as a lot of the guitar playing comes across as lacking in emotional delivery and purpose. You have some unwanted distortion where you have overstepped the headroom with your guitar, the licks in places are out of time and some notes are bordering on the wrong key. The overall impression is a man on a mission, only someone stole the mission but he went anyway. I produced similar the couple of weeks I owned a multi-tracker, kind of, all new toys so what do I do now. I hope you don't think I'm being harsh as I'm simply being honest and trying to help. You obviously have enthusiasm and can play, I suggest you think about expressive playing of less notes and initiate yourself with some emotive playing of single notes where you can convey the feeling around personal things which have impacted upon you in a big way. Listen to guitar tonality on tracks you admire, tailor your own with a leaning towards something that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. As an exercise imagine the notes of your tele track as vocal phrases in conversation and see if it's a chat you want to have any time soon. You've used question and answer phrasing in parts of that track, which is the highlight of that piece.

regards

Tim

Thanks Tim, great advice. I think the main thing I need to avoid is to "release" something before I get it as polished as I can, which is definitely the case with the Tele track. Again, great advice and really appreciate you checking it out & commenting.

Back