Instrumental mix

killthepixelnow

Do it right or dont do it
Hello guys, I'd like to know if you find this metal mix balanced. There's something else, do you think the guitar tone is appropriated or do you reckon it needs more gain?

Thanks in advance!

Less gain. Guitars sound 'fizzy' to me. A bunch of mud in the low end with the programmed drums. Lovin the bass tone.

I think so, though that low end mud makes it tough to judge anything. Sounds ok with my PC speakers. Total mudfest with my monitors and sub.

In this version I can hear more of the subtleties of the composition. In my opinion it's much better.
Thanks, I also think that is more cleaner. You know, I'm always tempted to add more gain!

I think so, though that low end mud makes it tough to judge anything. Sounds ok with my PC speakers. Total mudfest with my monitors and sub.

I'm mixing with monitors and also flat headphones at this very moment. You told me there's something odd on the low-end right? Maybe it's the kick, here's a test without it:

Last edited:
Yep, the kick is the main culprit. Send me the kick wav file. I will send you some better options.

Hell, post the whole project. :)

Yep, the kick is the main culprit. Send me the kick wav file. I will send you some better options.

Hell, post the whole project. :)

I have three kick tracks, which I mixed to taste. Here you can download a [.zip] with those tracks (no virus inside, working on a Mac):

http://we.tl/mNUyVPj5d2

I will definitely post the song when these matters are resolved.Thanks a gain for your help.

This is my attempt to clean up the muddiness of the drums:

Better, but the kick sounds really clicky now. Fine if that is what you want. Turn the volume down way low on the mix and that is the most prominent thing heard. Get's fatiguing very quickly. The tracks you sent all have a muddy sound as well. Start notching out frequencies to find what isn't working.

Here, have another Kick sample via SS Trigger.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/elNKMFh1cTJubVh2bk1UQw

The first mix was thin and tinny w/respect to the guitars. You've improved the tone of the guitars on mix 2 through 4.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll post the song (with vocals) tomorrow. In this part of the world is past midnight, so I may hit the hay now. Here's the track with less click on the kick. I think it sounds more balanced now.

Last edited:
Back