Instrument and Vocal mic question

velvetomatoe

Ok so be patient with me. I'm just starting to build up a small home "studio". I'm recording everything from acoustic + vocals to full band rock. I was wondering what kind of mics I should use? I'm not looking for super expensive quality as I'm still very amateur but I would like something decent. I heard the Shure SM's are nice but I don't know the difference between the 57 + 58's. I'm looking for something in that price range with similar quality. These will be used for micing drums, guitars and bass. Also should I invest in a better vocal mic? and if yes should it be a condensor mic? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Kevin~

sorry about the double post on this, computer froze in the middle. If an admin could delete this one, that'd be super. Thanks

there are many good choices for you that are reasonably priced.
when i started out all i had was a few 57's. these are considered to be an industry standard for micing snare and guitars. but this is by far not the only choice. if i were in your shoes i would buy some 57's and a pair of sdc's like the octavia mc012's. than something for kick drum like a d112 and a ldc like a at4033. all of these mics can be found on ebay for good prices.

Back