Installing OS and cubase on two hard drives

Can some please tell me what to do?
Here's the situation:
I have 2 hard drives, One is 6.4G, 5400, Western Digital. The other is Maxtor 30G, 7200.
Would installing the cubase and other plugins in the bigger drive make any differance when the OS is in the smaller drive?
I would appreciate any comments and suggestions how to set this up well.
Thanks a million folks!!!
Nagaba

You would want to use your 7200RPM drive for your audio data only, this is where faster transfer and access matter. All programs and plugins should reside on your 5400 hard drive, along with the OS.

Emeric

Thanks for the quick reply Emric.
Onemore question, by "audio data" do you mean the Cubase VST24? I have the producer pac. Where should the Cubase VST24 and WaveLab be installed?
Thanks once again.
Nagaba

Yes by audio data I mean the actual Wav files that Cubase creates. When you start a new project in Cubase, and you are recording your first track it will ask you where to store it(this is when you first click the little record button on the track). I create subfolders on my other drive, such as - Original Songs, and underneath that subfolders such as - Song1, Song2, Song3 etc, or real song titles.

Then when Cubase asks me where to save the info, I select d:\original songs\song1.

Having your files organized in this way makes it much easier to backup to cd-r rather than having a drive with 1000's of wav's scattered across it.

With a disc as big as 30GB, you may want to create two partitions; one 5GB or so and one with the rest of the space. Make the smaller partition the first on the disc (primary) and use that as the project partition where that you use for recording and keep the files that your not working on at the moment on the bigger partition (secondary). This would give you a setup like this:

C:\ 6,4GB 5400rpm - OS and recording program
D:\ 5GB 7200rpm - Recording partition
E:\ 25GB 7200rpm - .wav archive and non-recording programs (if not all programs fit on C:\)

The reason for using an own, primary, partition for recording is (I'm told) that the first part of a hard disk is faster than the last part. Thus, by reserving the first 5GB for recording, you're sure that your recording to the fastest part of the disc. Also, it's easier to re-format the recording disc if you want to try different cluster sizes etc.

Good luck

/Ola

I have two hard drives (2 20GIG's) and I am curious about this as well. Should I install all music programs (Winamp, Real Audio, Cakewalk, ACID) all together on the same hard drive as Windows, and simply have the saved cakewalk files or ACID files on the other? In other words, mix ALL programs together on one drive, regardless of the type?

Thanks everybody.

MBusby,

Yes, install all programs/plugin's on the same drive as your OS. There is no advantage in doing otherwise (unless your running low on space on your C: drive, if so time to get a larger one). Keeping your audio wav's or *.bun or however your multitracker works on a seperate drive is a good idea. Especially if your second drive is a 7200RPM.

Emeric -

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have 2 7200RPM drives. I will put everything on my C drive, and save audio files for the D drive.

Just to confirm - should I include MP3 files, including those which I might download off the web on my second (D) drive?

Thanks again.

MP3 files don't matter. Their such a small file, it's nothing for any hard drive (or even CD-ROM) to keep up with that. Store them where you like. It's when you have 16 tracks of audio playing back that you want to optimize perfomance.

How you organize your files is up to you, but this is an important thing to do. And i'm the first to admit that i'm bad at it. I do try to keep mp3's in a directory called "mp3" at the very least.

Back