Installing new fret wire into a bass guitar

Bryaxis

Hey everyone,
I recently got a very good deal on a bass guitar. Came with brand new pickups, i paid 50 dollars for it. All i have to do is rewire the pickups and put in new fret wire. I've already done the pickups....bass sounds great...but I still have to put in the fret wire. Does anyone know the correct way to do this? What kind of adhesive should I use? If anyone has done this, and can help..i'd really appreciate it!
God Bless,
Bryan

Fretting, or rather refretting is not exactly hard..... but it is meticulous and delicate. And as far as cost goes, you will spend more on the proper tools to do it right than you would to have it done. You cant simply yank out the old fret wire and squeeze in new. You need a fret bender, tang nippers, assorted files (mostly the crowning file), slot cleaning tools, maybe even a refret saw. I am sure most of us have seen a job or two that some punk has tried himself. Ends up the fingerboard gets scored all to shit, maybe a gouge on the neck.....burrs on the edges. and then the fact that the clown didnt shape the wire even close so it buzzes or flat out misses the purpose.

Crowning files alone will cost you $40.00. Hell a fret bender must be close to $100.

I could see if you were just replacing one maybe two frets that were already gone, but to do the whole friggin neck you want perfection top to bottom.....

Ok,
How about this? I leave the bass fretless...but it gets alot of string buzz...is there any other way to fix it?

Bryaxis said:
Ok,
How about this? I leave the bass fretless...but it gets alot of string buzz...is there any other way to fix it?

Why dont you just take it to a fret shop which is the best thing to do but expensive in a lot of cases. You might come out cheaper just ordering a new neck for it. But, if you are familiar with a fretless or you are interested in learning...

tap out the rest of the frets. fill the slots with a good synthetic wood. replace the nut with one about 1/32" taller, adjust the bridge to taste.

It would be cool if you left it fretless...or you might try looking on ebay or other like cheap places for a neck. is it a bolt on? it might just be easier to put a new neck on it, and then keep your fretless neck for a back up when you want a change of sound...

just my two cents

freak

How do i find out how tall the nut is now? Also..would i just use would glue in the slots? All the frets are already out. Thanks a bunch man.

Bass Freak said:
It would be cool if you left it fretless...or you might try looking on ebay or other like cheap places for a neck. is it a bolt on? it might just be easier to put a new neck on it, and then keep your fretless neck for a back up when you want a change of sound...

just my two cents

freak

Actually..I loooooooove the sound of it being fretless...if i could get rid of the annoying buzz..there'd be no question.

Back