Inspiration

Ziller

I've been reading tons of posts over the last couple of months, getting ideas on gear and techniques as I build my small studio in the basement, and something occured to me. I am a musician, and my studio is a place for me to go and relax, get away from it all and become inspired. I found myself looking at gear not just for the way it sounds, but the way it looks, or *feels*. I realized how importent it is, when you open that cold ale, turn down the lights, do whatever else you do to get into that creative space, to be able to look around and see stuff that *inspires* you. More even, then the quality or clearity. I don't think this applies as much to those who just record, but to musicians. I decided not to put anything in my studio which, no matter how great the reviews or how good the sound, which in any way stifles my creativity.

This make any sense? I am a programmer, and considered using my ultra fast computer to record, and realized the last thing I want, after programming all day, is to look over and see a computer in my relaxing, creative space. I just look at it and my musical inpiration dries up.

I recenty had 300 bucks to but a mixer. I tried out one of those Behringers, and what made me bring it back was not the sound, but the metallic look. It made me all edgy and I just wasn't writing like I want. Maybe it would be ok if your into metal, or techno, but that's not me. In the end I chose this old, scratchy Studiomaster because when I sat down to relax/record, it was comfortable. Same with recorders. I choose to go analog and buy a somewhat beatup TSR 8 just because, when I'm recording, it inspires me to see the reels spin. The way the candlelight flickers off those spinning 10" reels opens just draws the music out of me. There no sense in getting a great recording of your music if you arn't writing what you know is in you, but won't come out.

I guess what I'm saying is, if your a musician, consider how the gear makes you feel. If you can get a great deal on a digital recorder, but you know you love to watch VU meter jump and reels spin, and those things are what makes you creative, then go analog, even if the *quality* of the recording isn't as good. I would rather look around and see stuff that looks like it came out of an old Dr. Who episode because I know it will help me write.

Inspiration First!

IMHO

Ziller

About the same for me. I don't care as much for the looks of the material, but I hate to sit behind a pc at home. That's one of the reasons I bought a stand alone unit.

And I really hate to go turn knobs and push buttons to get a sound. Unless it's on a cool analog synth that sounds good anyway no matter how you tweak the knobs. I just want a black box, plug it in and start playing, an inspiring, dynamic sound that doesn't need to be edited.

That's one of the reasons I love my roland A90 that much. Just 128 sounds, but they're all inspiring... The wurly gets me going very time...

Also, the room is very important to me. About the only thing I hate in my 'studio' is it's coldness. But I cannot rearchitect the room, it's in my parents house. And I hate being alone, especially there. A few creative people hanging round, playing, trying to sing, or even just uttering nonsense is mostly inspiring...

Ziller said:

....I decided not to put anything in my studio which, no matter how great the reviews or how good the sound, which in any way stifles my creativity....

...I guess what I'm saying is, if your a musician, consider how the gear makes you feel. If you can get a great deal on a digital recorder, but you know you love to watch VU meter jump and reels spin, and those things are what makes you creative, then go analog, even if the *quality* of the recording isn't as good. I would rather look around and see stuff that looks like it came out of an old Dr. Who episode because I know it will help me write.
Ziller

All well and good...

...but I wouldn't let the "appearance factor" cloud your judgment on gear quality! The gear are simply tools to enable the inspiration to be captured in the first place. Although I agree that you want to make your space a creativity-enabling area, it's not really the place of the gear to do give you that, and if you've made the right gear decisions in the first place, you should have a setup that best allows you to be creative as easily as possible!

On the other hand, this simply clarifies one of the big difficulties of home recording - where one person has to wear many hats -- musician AND engineer, song-writer AND producer. It's difficult enough to be a skillful engineer, but then to have to be a musician on top of it!! You get the idea....

In the end though, what counts is the song, the message, and the performance... nail those 3 items and you're 75% of the way there.... (100% if you get someone else to handle the engineering of capturing all that!!!)

Anyways, I've rambled mindlessly long enough now... ;)

Bruce

I think long and hard about the user interface of everything I add to my studio. A bad interface does stifle my creativity or at least will waste too much of my time. I bought an Emagic editor/librarian for my keyboards recently and the owners manual is over 300 pages long and it's way to complex for a product of it's type. On the flipside, my digital piano has 6 buttons on it and you just call up the sounds and play.

I feel I've reached a point where adding any new gear would just be too much. It is tough to juggle too many devices and still concentrate on the song I'm writing. I do record demos of my songs first and I don't concern myself with getting the ultimate guitar sound, and reverb, and I keep the percussion parts really minimal. Then when I feel I have the arrangement just like I want it, I will record the song with attention to all the little details.

I agree with Bruce about being all things in a home studio, it can be overwhelming. I've learned in my two years of home recording experience that I would never have the desire or drive to become a recording engineer. It just doesn't come natural to me. I still can't believe how great the sound is that you can get out of these toys. That's what inspires me. (I'm using the Akai DPS16 and Event PS6 monitors)

I do love gear that looks cool but that comes in a distant second to funtionality. If you don't believe me then you haven't see some of my ugly-ass guitars.

Ziller,

While recreational drugs are, in my opinion, fine and dandy, you may need to lay off of them just a tad......

Well, I suppose if I relied on recreational drugs, I wouldn't need my studio to give me inspiration! I think that's just it. I know that I, probably like a lot of people here, work all day, come home, deal with domestic issues, and only get a couple of hours to play and write. For me, that's in my small basement studio. Above all else, it must be a place that enhances my creativity.

I think a lot of focus is on the *product* of recording, and not the *process*. I could spend a lot of time and money getting the studio set up and sure it would be great to produce a CD but, honestly, I don't care all that much. I just want to record. It's the process. It's the expression of creativity captured. It's about art. If in the end I write a bunch of stuff I really like, and want to produce a commercial CD, I'll hire Bruce :). But in my home studio, first and formost is creativity.

Some gear can certainly be both. Like the RNC mounted in that Chevy rack mount kit. It just looks cool AND, from what I hear, works good. (I always wanted a 69 chevelle, that may be the closest I get!) The RNC is something I definitly plan on getting. A Soundcraft mixer. Soft, sleek design. That will fit. And the funny thing is, because it's made in England, I think of the group Pentangle and, because they were such a big influence on me when I was younger, I am immediatly inspired to write! Associations with your past (the good times anyway) is a great source of insiration.

I guess it is kind of strange but, hay, I am a musician!

Ziller

PS, I didn't mention the old Akai open reel that I hook to the output of my mixer just so I can watch the VU meters jump as I play :)...

Ziller, I feel a compelling need to apologize (very new experience for me)...though I made the comment in jest, I did sense that you might be "off the rocker" a little, considering alot of people hear are always in search of getting a better sound quality, and every new piece of gear is a step toward that...I guess we all have different goals and if yours is building an environment for creativity, who am I to question it....If someones goal/priority is sonic quality, then that person will of course choose different gear....Truly sorry, and wishing you the best in the creative process.....

...GIDGE....

I think I'm that way to a certain extent about the look of gear. I certainly don't make that a priority in my purchases, but there is a level of comfort and inspiration that I get in the studio. Of course I probably write more music sitting around in my underwear watching the tube than I do in the studio, so what maybe not! I will say though, that stand alone gear like my 16 analog track is quicker to get up and running than my Cubase system. So if it's a matter of getting something to tape before I forget...I'll go with my stand alone gear. But for creativity alone, the DAW can't be beat for my needs.

Back