Inserting outboard compressor into my 003. I need advice.

JarrodMP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought a UA 2-1176 and am curious as to how i should insert it into my 003. I'm wanting to use it pre-fader before recording but have no insert sends on the back of the digi. There's 8 outs but no returns other than track inputs. I also have a Pre-Sonus Digimax preamp with 8 insert options on the back. Should I sacrifice two of my inputs on my Digi 003 or is there a 1/4 inch stereo to male/female XLR cable that i should use through the Pre-Sonus? I want to set it up to use pre for recording and post for mixing. I'm just a little confused as to how to go about hooking it up properly. It seems like if I sacrifice two channels on the 003 then I'm setting it up as a bus send instead of an insert. Am I crazy or am I just overthinking this? Any advice would be splendid. Thanks.

You would put the 1176 in line on the 003. So for example, you'd connect the outs of the 1176 to ins 1-2 of the 003 and the ins of the 1176 to outs 1-2 of the 003. Then in the software you'd just use that I/O to send to the 1176.

Likewise, if you wanted to use the inputs 1-2 but not use the 1176, you'd just bypass the 1176.

Or, you could do all the above with a patchbay, which would allow you to patch the 1176 in or out to any I/O on the 003 as you wish.

I suggest getting a patchbay and doing it that way, if you need that kind of flexibility.

Back