Insert question

famous beagle

I'm pretty sure there's not really a difference, but I just wanted to double check.

Is there any difference --- signal flow-wise --- in the following two signal chains:

Mic ---> INPUT of external pre
OUTPUT of external pre ---> INPUT of compressor
OUTPUT of compressor ---> LINE IN of mixer channel

Mic ---> INPUT of mixer pre
SEND insert ---> INPUT of compressor
OUTPUT of compressor ---> RETURN insert ---> rest of mixer channel

Thanks

Looks the same to me except in the first scenario you are going through the external AND mixer pre (depends on your line in channel might just have a fader). Second scenario you just use the mixer pre.

Try this:

Mic -> external pre -> insert return on mixer. That will bypass the mixer's mic pre stage and probably the HPF. On mixers with eq before insert it also bypasses the eq, but those are not too common.

Cool, I'll try that. I can never remember: would that be the first click on the insert jack or pushed all the way in?

Weird. I had a similar insert question recently. What are the odds of two beagle names users asking a similar question?
...I thought this was my post at 1st!

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the Beagles. :eek:

Don, Glen, George and Ringo 4-ever!!!! :D

I'm pretty sure there's not really a difference, but I just wanted to double check.

Is there any difference --- signal flow-wise --- in the following two signal chains:

Mic ---> INPUT of external pre
OUTPUT of external pre ---> INPUT of compressor
OUTPUT of compressor ---> LINE IN of mixer channel

Mic ---> INPUT of mixer pre
SEND insert ---> INPUT of compressor
OUTPUT of compressor ---> RETURN insert ---> rest of mixer channel

Thanks

The one using the insert will be unbalanced, and therefore possibly adding a little bit of noise.

If your compressor has balanced ins and outs, go with your first option, using all balanced cables of course.

Back