insert patching quesion

meowadishi

Hello,

If I had a pre amp and have a compressor patched into the inserts of a couple of channels would said channels be affected if the compressor unit is off. Not effected by the unit in terms of compression but in terms of coloration or loss of signal?

I am sure that it would not. But thought I would get some other peoples thoughts.

I doubt that there would be any coloration or distortion of the signal

Because...

I doubt the signal would go beyond the input jacks.

I suppose some equipment allows the signal to go straight through from input to output when the power is off, but the (admittedly limited) equipment I have seen doesn't, i.e. when it's off, it's off, and nothing passes through...

As long as the effect module had true bypass or something of the likes, it would be fine. Even if it didn't, the loss of quality would be so small it wouldn't make a difference.

Yeah. I was thinking about throwing a gate maybe a compressor on some channels of my proposed Digimax FS and leaving them there for times that I need them.

I would go with a patchbay but I am trying to stick to a 8 channel setup for now. Mainly since I do live in an apartment and would only use more than a couple tracks for recoding my friends band...or mine. And I can't see a patch bay helping too much right now. Though they are pretty rad.

An insert interrupts the signal chain , so you might lose signal when the compressor is off. That's kind the idea of an insert. A signal is 100% diverted to an external effect and then directed back to the main unit.

Paul

Which is why a normal or half normalized patch bay would be perfect for this application... or you can just pull the inserts when your're not using the compressor, or you can leave the compressor on... an eight channel setup is the perfect time to get a patch bay and familiarize yourself with its operation...

Back