insert effects

pntsmillion

I am using a soundcraft spirit e8 board, and I want to connect a behringer
1953 mic pre as an insert. The mixer allows for inserts on each channel, as well as 2 on the masters. How do I do this. I know nothing of insert effects.
Thank you.

Why do you want to use the pre as an effect? Just plug the mic into the pre, and run that straight into your recording interface.

But to answer your question, to use a single insert point like your board has, you need a special cable that has a TRS jack on one end and two TS jacks on the other end, one connected to the other end's tip, and the other to it's ring, with a shared ground. Your insert point will send signal on the tip, and return it on the ring, so plug the tip end into your effect's input, and the ring end into the effect's output.

Agreed....dont use it as an insert, then you would be running it thru the mixer preamp AND the mic pre, in that order. No use doing that, you would have to use mixer trim to boost the level going out the insert for the mic pre.

Go direct to the recorder, like Adam says, or at least direct into the mixer with the trim turned off so only the mic preamp is driving the mixer input.

Even running it into the board seems silly! Only do that if you have to...the sound is only as weak as the weakest part of the chain...lessen the chain and you'll likely make it stronger! However, I'm not familier with the pres but I'd likely use the Soundcraft pres before the Beri

jacob

Back