in's & out's... Head..... hurts... ugh...

shadow5606

OK, I was reading another thread... http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=85030

I'm also working with a Behringer 602A & Audiophile 2496. Right now this is my chain...

Mic--->Ch1--->Tape RCA Outs--->Audiophile RCA in's--->Audiophile RCA out's--->Monitors

With my current setup I turn down the hardware volume on my speakers before recording & listen to either the metronome or previously recorded tracks with my headphones that are plugged into the headpone plugs on my monitors, NOT my mixer.

This is OK but I have to stand up & down to reach the hardware volume on my speakers & my headphone volume is not very loud. Also, when recording I'm not hearing what I'm playing, I'm only hearing either the metronome OR the previously recorded track through my headphones. To hear what I'm playing I just listen to the live sound in the room that's being recorded, either my acoustic guitar or my bass amp or my vocals. BUT I don't get to hear how they sound AFTER going through the mic.

Soooooo....

I'm thinking about doing one of these chains...

Mic--->602 ch 1---> Aux send level controls recording volume in 2496---> aux send to 2496 "in"---> 2496 "outs" to channel 3/4 in mixer (keep aux send off)---> main outs to monitors -----> headphones to listen if you want monitors off

OR

Mic--->602 Ch1--->602 Main outs--->Audiophile in's--->Audiophile out's--->Tape in

BUT, I don't know what to send out to my monitors with this later setup other than spliting the outs from the Audiophile so they go to both the Tape in on my mixer AND the monitors... but then I'm back to the manual monitor volume adjustment....

HELP... my head hurts...

OR.... I could just get a headphone amplifier to make the volume louder than what I'm singing/playing & then get an adapter that let's my headphones accept both the out feed from my monitor & the headphone out from my mixer... then I get monitoring from my mixer & the metronome/previously recorded tracks from Sonar. or is that a rediculous setup???

shadow5606 said:

I'm also working with a Behringer 602A & Audiophile 2496. Right now this is my chain...

Mic--->Ch1--->Tape RCA Outs--->Audiophile RCA in's--->Audiophile RCA out's--->Monitors

With my current setup I turn down the hardware volume on my speakers before recording & listen to either the metronome or previously recorded tracks with my headphones that are plugged into the headpone plugs on my monitors, NOT my mixer.

This is OK but I have to stand up & down to reach the hardware volume on my speakers & my headphone volume is not very loud. Also, when recording I'm not hearing what I'm playing, I'm only hearing either the metronome OR the previously recorded track through my headphones. To hear what I'm playing I just listen to the live sound in the room that's being recorded, either my acoustic guitar or my bass amp or my vocals. BUT I don't get to hear how they sound AFTER going through the mic.

All you have to do is alter your signal path like so:

Run from your Main OUts on the 602 to the Audiophile 2496 ins, and you will have your Dual inputs (you can pan one channel left, and one channel right, and that is two inputs, or one stereo input). The Tape Outs will work too if you want to leave it like this.

Then, leave the 2496 Outs going to your monitors, and to hear what you are recording do the following:

in the software mixer (open up the M icon in your system tray) for the 2496, route the Inputs straight back out to the outputs by the following changes. In the Audiophile Mixer window, under Patchbay Router, in the H/W OUt 1/2, select Monitor Mixer
In the Monitor Mixer page, uncheck all mute switches, and raise all sliders up to Unity (0). Then, the Input signal, and the signals being generated in SOnar will both be coming out of the Outs and going to your monitors. Easy as pie. Really. If you have any further questions, let me know.

Second option, if standing up and down is such a pain to control levels, then use the 602 Main outs to the 2496 Ins, and the 2496 Outs to teh Tape In of the 602A. Depress the 2TK-->Control Room button, and DO NOT depress the 2TK-->Mix button. Set up the Monitor Mixer/Patchbay Router of the 2496 as above. Plug your headphones into the 602A headphone jack, and your monitors into the Control Room Outs. Adjust headphone level using the Control Room/Headphone level knob. You don't want to fiddle with the Main Level because this is controlling your "send" volume to the 2496.

Since the control room/headphone level is a single setting then wouldn't i have output on my monitors while I'm using my headphones or does inserting headphones shut off the monitors like the way it does on my PC speaker system. (i.e., when I plug in my headphones on my PC speakers the speakers no longer emit sound)

So in theory, this way, I could control my PC speaker volume by using the control room/headphone level w/ no headphones plugged in & when using headphones my speakers are automatically cut off, right?

shadow5606 said:
Since the control room/headphone level is a single setting then wouldn't i have output on my monitors while I'm using my headphones or does inserting headphones shut off the monitors like the way it does on my PC speaker system. (i.e., when I plug in my headphones on my PC speakers the speakers no longer emit sound)

So in theory, this way, I could control my PC speaker volume by using the control room/headphone level w/ no headphones plugged in & when using headphones my speakers are automatically cut off, right?
No, plugging in the headphones does not cut out the Monitors. I was under the assumption that you could control the volume of your monitors independently. You would still need a way to turn "off" the monitors independently (heck, you can just unplug them when you are recording with a mic and don't want any signal coming out of the monitors).

If this is a real problem, then a different routing system would be necessary, but it should be easy enough to just kill the monitors when you don't want them on.

FYI, I'm leaning towards option two for two primary reasons...

No. 1 - the headphone signal out of my PC speakers is fairly low & sometimes hard to hear tracks I've previously recorded over what I'm currently preforming/recording.

So I'm thinking that routing my headphones out of my mixer will boost that level a bit with the control room/headphone out.

No. 2 - With my setup it really is a pain to get up & down to plug in my headphones because I have my center speaker propped up at an angle (this is where the volume & headphone jack is) every time I mess w/ the physical volume or headphone jack on my speaker system I have to get up & brace the speaker with my hand & slightly re adjust it.

definitely use the 602 to run your speakers and headphones: the sound quality will be significantly better. Run the 2496 outs to the mixer, and plug your speakers and headphones into the 602. If your speakers have a volume knob on them, and it is a pain to stand up to change it all the time, just leave it set on one level and use the ControlRoom/Headphone level knob to control their volume. Unplug the speakers when you don't want them sending noise, or stand up and turn their volume all the way off.

Hmmm... I'm thinking maybe the aux send method may work then because I could keep the aux send down on Ch 5/6 so that it's not recording to Sonar but it's volume could still be adjusting with the channel level that would effect the volume sent to my monitors... then I use my control room/headphone volume independently for my headphones while recording...

This way I can..

A. Boost my headphone signal
B. Control my monitor volume using the regular level on Ch 5/6
C. Avoid a loop by keeping the Ch 5/6 Aux send all the way down.

Am I missing something...

My head hurts... lol

If you use the Aux on the mixer, you can easily select what to record. The aux will send what you want to record into the PC, and you will hear what you play...

And as you've discovered you will have full control on what to hear during recording and playback. :)

The Aux send method works just fine, and in many ways is easier to control levels without messing up your recording level. BUT, you can only record mono this way as the Aux send is a mono output. This is just fine for a guitar going straight into the board, or one mic for an amp or vox. But, if you want to record TWO things at the same time, it won't work, or if you stereo mic your acoustic etc.

However, you can always just swap your configurations of ins/outs as necessary if this is the case.

So the Aux send method would do everything I want, including boosting my headphone volume, turning up & down my monitors w/o messing w/ the monitors physical volume, etc...

The only real drawback that we keep coming back to is the stereo recording... Which currently I'm not doing any of... so far... & I if I did I could just swap things around...

Let me ask you this...

If you're sending your Aux send which is a 1/4 inch jack to your 2496 ins which is a L/R RCA jack do you just get a single 1/4 inch--> RCA adapter & run into just one chanel of your 2496

OR

should you get a 1/4 inch-->1/8 inch--->Stereo RCA adapter & run that to both the L & R of the 2496

Bingo! :)

shadow5606 said:
If you're sending your Aux send which is a 1/4 inch jack to your 2496 ins which is a L/R RCA jack do you just get a single 1/4 inch--> RCA adapter & run into just one chanel of your 2496
Yes. Only need to record one track...

yeah, it won't make a difference, because only the L of the RCAs is going to read any signal anyway from a Mono send.

I Keep thinking here...

Would there be any disadvantage to having this connection...

Plug a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter in the Aux send 1/4 inch out & then plug in an 1/8 inch to stereo female RCA adapter & run the male stereo RCA cable from the adapter to the 2496

Just remeber to set the recording input to Left (or Right, depending on what you connected the Aux to), not Stereo. ;)

Another thought...

Are the EQ settings on the 602 post or pre FX... Meaning, if I'm using my Aux send for recording do I miss out on my EQ which would only be going to my speakers?

Just occured to me, I'll now have hardware EQ for my speakers w/ it going through the Ch 5/6. good...

I think the aux on the 602 is post-fader, meaning eq will be applied to the aux-signal...

Nope, I use a Soundcraft F1 mixer, and I have 3 aux'es. The first is pre, the second is post, and the third is switchable. The 602 manual will tell you this.

Back