inputs on a 488

rib

okay, i need to know if, on the 488 i could plug 5 mics (4 for drums, 1 guitar amp) and be able to put the first 4 (drums) onto one track and the 5th (guitar) onto the 2nd track.

i read somewhere that i should send the drums to 2 stereo tracks, does the 488 have those?

"for no bouncing--record the drums with about 3-4 mics (1 kick,1 snare,2 close rooms/stereo L,R), run those through a mixer (get your sounds)send them to two stereo tracks on 1 of your 4tracks"

the person wasn't talking about a 488, he was talking about using two 4 tracks, but i just wanted to know what he meant by sending the drums to stereo tracks, and what did he mean by "bouncing"?

Yo BBQ Ribs:

As I recall when I had a couple of 488s, Tascam 8 track SIABs that used tape, Bouncing was in the manual.

If you use up, say, two tracks, they can be bounced to a single track. Only trouble I had with bouncing is that you lose control over tweaking -- what ever you treak on bounced tracks goes to both, or more, tracks that were sent to one track.

You might get more response if you go to the Tascam forum and post your question.

Green Hornet:D :cool:

sorry about posting it in the mixing section, i personally hate it when people post threads in the wrong section, i just didn't know i wasn't in the tascam forum...

The Green Hornet said:
Yo BBQ Ribs:

As I recall when I had a couple of 488s, Tascam 8 track SIABs that used tape, Bouncing was in the manual.

If you use up, say, two tracks, they can be bounced to a single track. Only trouble I had with bouncing is that you lose control over tweaking -- what ever you treak on bounced tracks goes to both, or more, tracks that were sent to one track.

You might get more response if you go to the Tascam forum and post your question.

Green Hornet:D :cool:

well this breeds another question.....can you tweak all you want in the original tracks and then bounce them onto 1?

The 488 will record 4 tracks simultaneously, max.

You could do what you outlined above, if you considered having at least 3 outboard preamps to accommodate 5 mics, because the 488 only has 2 active mic preamps onboard, & the rest of the inputs are line level.

Given that you've scrounged together 3 preamps, then you could indeed send all [4] drum mics to one tape track, and guitar mic to another tape track. Also, you could just as easily send [4] drum mics to a stereo pair of tape tracks, 1/2 or 3/4, and send the guitar mic separately to it's own track. It's doable.

The 488 records up to 4 tracks simultaneously, and has two onboard mic preamps, & 12 input mixer, total, into 8 tracks on cassette tape. Those are design concepts that either drive or limit what you'll do on the 488, in the way of production.

Other Portastudios have more onboard preamps, FI, the 488mkII has 4, and the 424mkII/III has 4 & 6, respectively.

So goes the thought, further, of using an outboard mixer with the proper number of mic preamps, to do the submixing of drums, and send the submixed drum signal to the 488 in stereo, at line level. That's reflected in your anonymous quote, of using two 4-tracks,... in which one is a submixer to the other. Most 4-track Portastudios make great submixers, as well, which is why it pays to have a couple of them laying around.

Back