input reverse

axeman_ukl

is there anyting that would allow me to input reverse,my mixer mg32/14fx does not do this.
you put a mic in the xlr input everything good as soon as you put a jack input in as well it takes preference so the mic will no longer work.other than upluging and repluging everytime is there somthing that can be made or bought without going and buying another mixer.

is there anyting that would allow me to input reverse,my mixer mg32/14fx does not do this.
you put a mic in the xlr input everything good as soon as you put a jack input in as well it takes preference so the mic will no longer work.other than upluging and repluging everytime is there somthing that can be made or bought without going and buying another mixer.

If I understand your problem correctly, you have a mike plugged into, say, channel 1 of your mixer. You then plug a jack into the line in socket of the same channel, which disconnects the XLR input, i.e. the line input takes priority. I think you would like the mike to have priority, right?

I don't know of any easy way of reversing this.

However, with your mg32/14fx you have a lot of channels, and I can't figure out why you need a mike and a line both in the same channel so that this priority problem arises. Can you put a mike into the XLR on channel 1, and a jack into the line input on channel2?

Or maybe just unplug the cable you aren't using? If you are trying to have one input take priority over another it seems to me that you are only using one of the two at a time anyhow, just unplug the one you are not using. Short of that, the only solution I am aware of is a patchbay solution which seems like it may be a little over the top for the specific problem you are describing and still requires plugging and unplugging a cable (just a different cable at a different location).

the thing is i mix down on my mixer with the muto24i/o
so what i wanted to do was use the insert i/o to record the mics and be able to switch to another signal path ie soundcard out on each channel.
so i guess i would be looking at something that could split the xlr input on the desk to alow it to record the mic click a switch , and then recieve the soundcards signal.remembering to turn off the phantom power first.

this is to make use of the pre's on the desk which until now i hav'nt used and want to record bands all at once for rough demos

The two traditional ways to do it are mixers used 'in line' -both record input and playback line in's go to the same channels with mic/line select switches, no go on the MG. or 'split style - one set of channels and or sub groups are for tracking, one set for mix.

As far as I know, what you are asking is not going to be possible without major time consuming modifications that would not be recommended nor a financially logical option. You are probably MUCH better off buying a console that was intended to be a recording desk if you want the proper way to acheive what you are looking for. A different approach however might be to use the insert jack in the way it was actually intended, with an insert cable. Allow the tip to be your direct out (pin 2), and the ring to be your return form your soundcard (pin 3).

If you're talking about the inserts, you can generally tap the output of a single channel by plugging a mono cable into the channel insert halfway (up to the first click). Then run your MOTU interface's outputs into a different set of inputs or inserts on your board.

Either that or as xstatic put it, use the inserts the way you're supposed to use them. Use a stereo 1/4" to dual RCA (or whatever) cable with appropriate adapters so that you end up with two mono 1/4" plugs (or whatever your MOTU interface takes for its inputs and outputs). One of those (no idea which---it varies from mixer to mixer) should contain the output from the mixer's preamp. Plug that one into the input. Test to see if you see a signal in your DAW to make sure you have the right one, then plug the output of the MOTU into the other one and set your DAW software to do software play-through (or set the MOTU to do hardware play-through---AFAIK, most or all of their gear can do that). If you do this, the only time you should ever need to unplug the inserts is if you are using the mixer without the computer turned on.

Back