Input monitoring isn't working right

saxman72

Hi there,

Recently, when I start up Cubase, my input monitoring goes mute. I can hear what's going into the inputs any other time my computer is on. They only go mute when Cubase is the active program.

Any ideas on what's causing this, or what the cure is?

Thanks!

Cubase vst/32 5.1 r1
Win 98
GadgetLabs 8-24

I don't have your version of cubase but some versions don't handle monitoring and you have to use your audio cards mixer applications to route the audio back out to the outputs, if possible.

hey there NYMorningstar,

I actually DO use my audio card's software to route the input signals directly to the outputs like you said. It has worked just fine for 3 years plus. What's driving me nuts is that all of a sudden it has stopped working!

Now the ONLY time the input monitoring doesn't work is when Cubase is on! Any other time my computer is on, I can hear what's going into the sound card inputs. So I'm assuming that there's something in Cubase that defeats the soundcard's software... Or I just have some weird bug that popped up...

Yeah, my original post wasn't very clear. Sorry about that.

Did you change anything recently like your drivers or install any programs that use audio? Did you add hardware that works with s/pdif. I found this about your card, I hope it helps:

Routing the input signal straight through to the corresponding hardware output lets you hear the input signal after only passing through the A-D and then D-A converters - this alerts you to any input overload, but of course you can't hear any of the VST real-time effects with the signal. The only thing you have to remember is to disable monitoring again using the Control utility before playback, otherwise you will be left wondering why you can't hear anything! In the current version of the ASIO driver, the S/PDIF I/O is not supported. One final note, this info is a few years old so there probably is newer drivers that do support s/pdif. |Good luck.

Back