input levels

icarus

I'm recording from my roland xv-88 onto CW pro audio 9. I know that I need to come as close as possible to maximum with my inputs without clipping for the best signal. But even with my volume on the synth all the way up and my input level on my MIa soundcard all the way up, some sounds still don't even come close. They sound fine to me on playback, but I'm worried I'm not getting the best signal. My question is, is that O.K. or should i do something to get these levels closer to maximum, and if so, what?

Oh, also, I know I'm a moron but one more question. When I get the inputs up on other sounds, it is often overwhelming to try and play something that now sounds super loud over other parts playing back when the part I'm playing is really only a background part. But I know its best to keep the level up and mix it down later. Is there any way to reconcile this where I don't have to play the part I'm recording so damn loud, but still keep the input level up? Thanks for putting up with my completely inane questions.

Since no one else smarter has said anything , i will :D I think you should not have to raise your soundcard vol. but a little bit, you need a mixer, something to control your inputs better than the windows mixer or your soundcards volume levels ,(input, rec. etc.) raising those will no doubt raise your noise floor i.e. recording hiss:( bad stuff. So if i read correctly you dont have a mixer and that would be your best bet in my opinion.

thanks for the replies everyone. the xv-88 is an external synth/keyboard and i love it. i'm primarily a piano player and of all the synths i tried the xv-88 with the piano xpansion card had by far the best paino sound for my purposes. i was stuck between the triton and the xv-88 but the piano sound on the triton sucks and even though its got a sampler i don't want to load a decent piano every time i want to sit down and play for five minutes.

Back