Input clipping in stereo

Sangram

OK here's the thing,

I use a single channel (mono, no name local) mixer+mic Preamp to feed my SB Live! Value PCI soundcard. somehow all pro and semi Pro equipment in this country manufactured by imitators is called 'BOSS' for some strange reason.

I've custom built a 1/4 to 1/8 patch cable, with a mono 1/4 on on end for the mixer output, and a stereo 1/8 for the s/c input.

Well, if I record in mono the sound is OK (as good as it gets with an SB) but the moment I switch to stereo the recording starts clipping (distorting, like the input level is too high). This is happening in every program, I've also tried other signal sources such as my guitar amp, so not a mixer issue either.

The l/r pins are obvously shorted out at one end (they have to, to convert the mono into a 'stereo' signal). That seems to be the only thing I can think of, any other ideas?

Sang

have you checked the level going into your SBlive mixer?? double click the speaker icon next to your time - bottom right and open your mixer then click Options/properties then select recording
and check your line input level :)

cheers
John

Yep, of course I tried that, John. The frightful thing is, it's happening at every audible volume point, and now it's started to happen in mono. It's OK at 22,050 Hz, though, the problems at 44.1 only!!

Sang

Back