Input and Output sample rates,,,lots of static....PLEASE HELP!!!!

danbs10

Hi, I really hope I make sense whilst explaining this because my brain is hurting right now!

I am recording acoustic (classical) guitar, here is my setup,
Hardware: AKG C2000b large diaphragm condenser mic, Shure SM57 dynamic mic, Alto Zephyr ZMX 52 audio mixer and this goes into my laptop via an audio interface.

Software: Adobe Audition CS5

Now Adobe audition insists that the input and output sample rates are matching before you can begin recording. So I then go into my speaker and mic setup properties (via Windows 7) and set them both to 16 bit 44100 khz and then set the sample rate in Adobe Audition to 44100 khz.
The problem is that this set up gives me a ridiculous amount of static, but then 5 minutes all the static is gone, and then maybe 10 minutes later the static is back again. What is going wrong?

I am assuming that this may have something to do with the sample rates (which I think are too low) because as soon as I start messing around with the sample rates it will correct itself, but here is the problem, In adobe audition it lets me take the sample rate to 192000khz but in windows 7 will only let me take it has high as 48000.

I hope I have made sense.

Thanks

Dan

You mention using an "audio interface" but don't mention what sort--and this is probably the critical component.

Anyway, one thing that occurs is that Windows 7 has an unfortunate habit of letting other devices, including system sounds, grab your sound card/interface and change the sample rate if it wants to. You need to make sure every other potential audio software (including--and particularly--system sounds) are shut down when you want to do any recording and mixing. This particular annoyance is one of the main reason that a lot of folks refuse to upgrade from XP on dedicated DAW computers...but this isn't always an option if you have a multi-use computer.

The other suggestion (and this applies to virtually any audio problem) is to make sure the drivers you use for your interface are up to date--and using an ASIO version of said drivers if at all possible.

Back