Input and opinions requested

Dave_M

I've been working on "Come Together" for a while now and finally have something presentable. I would like to hear opinions on the MP3 found at Come_Together.

The drums were done in stereo with Roland V-Drums, the bass guitar part was done with a GT6B in stereo and one of my Carvin basses. The rhythm guitar part was done using a Carvin SH225 thru a Digitech RP350. The lead guitar parts were done using a 1999 Strat with Lace Sensor pickups, also thru the RP350. Just for grins, I added some loops during the last eight measures or so.
All the tracking and mixing were done using Logic Express 8.

I hope the link works here and at my website.

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions.

Sounds just fine.:cool: This is almost like a rap song, where the vocals are EVERYTHING, so hearing it without them is rather amusing.:D That cymbal on the right might be a little loud. Again, we arent going to be paying attention to any of this, its all about vocals. Nice job, sounds fine.

Thanks, David. Others have mentioned that the cymbal crashes thru the outro are too harsh. I went back and cut >14kHz by 4.5db (sounds far less harsh to my ears).

I'm thinking the bass is just a tad too loud in this. It sounds like it's sitting out front, kinda dry, and the poor guitar is being neglected in the background....Can you tell I'm a guitar player and not a bass player? LOL.

Drums are great. Tone on the guitar (rhythm/lead) is good. Lead could be louder. Outro cymbal sounds okay in this mix...

Playing and recording overall is good. Looking forward to hearing the vocals when they are ready... :D

Got it. I went back to EQ'ing the bass and drums, (each track alone and then together) then began adding the guitar tracks back again (with some minor EQ tweaks - cutting below 200hz). I added some more reverb to the bass track too so it sits back beside the drums. Trying to control the toms was a trick - keeping a fair amount of attack while losing some boom took many loops at various locations.

BTW,for monitoring, I've got Roland DS90 monitors and AKG K240 headphones. Once an mp3 is burned I check it again on the living room stereo, through my PA system's floor monitors and finally, out in the car for a few days.

Thanks again

Back